Pinto won’t start

apgodden

Having issues with my newly rebuilt pinto.  I have had the engine running and now it will not start or even try to fire.

I have a spark on all spark plugs.  The plugs are wet and smell of petrol.

I have checked the timing.

Yes f I use easy start it dose try to fire?

any ideas.

Hi ok there quite simple carbs 

when you say open the chokes do you mean the butterfly’s ?   
Sorry if this sounds like teaching grandma to suck eggs but did you adjust the idle screw ( on the carb body itself ) or the BALANCE screw on the linkage between the two carbs. 
the reason I ask is the idle screw opens the chokes the balance screw adjustment is to get them to open the same amount which it sounds like your adjusting 

Sorry my lingo is not brilliant on the Weber’s. When I say the chokes I meant the cold start levers.

I have been adjusted the idle screw from the body of the carb to the lever.

when running I can’t keep the throttle in one place I have to keep tweaking the throttle to keep it running.

My experience only. It depends how your carbs have been setup. Do not use the choke, (cold start levers) on twin 40s. You will drastically flood the engine, hence wet plugs and an engine that wont start. Even Weber dealers sell a kit to remove the entire choke assembly.

For a cold start, pump the throttle to the floor 3 or 4 times, hold a small amount of throttle open. If it fires then stops, pump 2 or 3 times, small throttle & retry.

Heres another article. There is a diagram showing the idle (speed) adjustment and the 4 idle (mixture) screws. Follow the initial setup description. Also look up the balance bar adjustment between the front and rear carb. That may well need resetting if you have recently fitted the carbs.

On starting I don’t touch the cold start.  Pump the throttle 4 times and she will fire up first time.  I then have to keep moving the throttle as if I keep it at any one position it will stall.  It will not idle unless  I move the cold start and it will then idle?

Ok.  Turn the idle screw in enough so it runs. Even if running at 1000-1500rpm.  Get it up to temp. Then turn the idle down -you won’t do it cold. 
do you know how to balance the carbs ? If not you are peeing in the wind trying to get them to idle etc. 
there is the main balance between the carbs THEN you adjust the air bleed screws to get it 100% perfect between all four chokes but if you don’t know what your doing you can keep playing forever 

do you know how there jetted ?  
sometimes it’s worth just taking the car to a rolling road and spend the money getting them set up -books and articles are excellent but if you don’t know the basics you’ll be playing till summer and never get them right or enjoy the car. 

Thanks Blue,   I can't get it to stay running at any rpm so balancing the carbs is not possible.  I have found a old school mobile mechanic that is good with Webers.  He is coming on Friday to sort me out.  The plan is to get it running good enough so I can drive it to a rolling road to set it up properly.