Fresh to the Kit Car Scene! Need advice...

Guest HELIflipper03

Guest HELIflipper03

Hi everybody! I'm brand new to the kit car scene and would like a little advice. Im looking for a pre-built kit car that will hold its own on the track, but I have a pretty limited budget (of about £5500). I See that a lot of people talk about the "Robin Hood 2B" but I have also heard not great things about it. Found a pretty cool custom looking one recently, with fiberglass body panels and a 2.0 pinto engine and a very interesting custom interior, but unsure if its powerful at all. If I go look at it, any things I should be checking?

If that is the wrong car for the job, any others people might recommend?

Thanks everyone!

Guest HELIflipper03
Just now, brumster said:

Is this purely a track day car? You're bit "hold it's own on track" has thrown me a bit, that can mean different things to different people :)

I'd ideally like to be able to drive it to the track, but yes it will only be used as a track day car. No daily driving or shopping trips...

Cool, ok. I wouldn't really choose a 2B as a trackday car then, if I had £5500 burning a hole in my pocket.... I'd probably go more for a Locost chassis with a more fruity engine. You'll have way more options in terms of chassis tuning, it'll weigh less. 2Bs are great for the road but for what you're after, I think that sort of money would be better spent on something a bit more track-focused...

Guest HELIflipper03
1 minute ago, brumster said:

Cool, ok. I wouldn't really choose a 2B as a trackday car then, if I had £5500 burning a hole in my pocket.... I'd probably go more for a Locost chassis with a more fruity engine. You'll have way more options in terms of chassis tuning, it'll weigh less. 2Bs are great for the road but for what you're after, I think that sort of money would be better spent on something a bit more track-focused...

Ahh ok very useful advice. Ill do research on the locust chassis. Any other companies that might do the job?

Guest HELIflipper03
Just now, geordie40 said:

you want to make sure you search for "Locost" not "LOCUST" as i think the locust is a wooden frame but stand to be corrected

Noted! Ill try not to make that mistake 😂

If it's purely a track car then you will have more choice at that budget. Tricky time during lockdown to look at them though. Out of interest this had just come up on the strictly kitcars Facebook page which may give you an idea of what you can get. I'm not saying it's any good but it comes with a trailer as well which you will need.

Ps..I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this link. Please remove if I am.

Screenshot_20210123-121527.png

Guest HELIflipper03
2 minutes ago, dandan62 said:

If it's purely a track car then you will have more choice at that budget. Tricky time during lockdown to look at them though. Out of interest this had just come up on the strictly kitcars Facebook page which may give you an idea of what you can get. I'm not saying it's any good but it comes with a trailer as well which you will need.

Ps..I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this link. Please remove if I am.

Screenshot_20210123-121527.png

wow looks pretty cool! Only problem being I dont have space for a trailer! Ideally will be looking for one that is road legal. And yeah, lockdown is causing problems but we shall see where it goes. 

I see that sort of comment all the time - does it really matter what it's registered as? I've never been asked for that for insurance purposes or when stopped by police. If the condition of the car is fine, why care what the log book says?

For a normal car, I understand because you don't want something nicked but kits are always being rebuilt and modified. 

It would probably only matter if you had an accident, made an insurance claim or went for an MOT and they knew what they were looking at so I agree the chances of getting caught are slim. That said, it's still a ringer. Dutton's have been ripe for using their identities to swap to other cars for a good few years when their value was less than the cost of an IVA but who's to say a car wasn't stolen so it's identity could be used.

My view is that if we as a club see dubious cars, we should make people aware of the fact.

• Like 2