Another loom question...

Chris Scott

Firstly, sorry that this is so similar to other recent posts, but I have a different engine/existing setup to those topics so thought it easier to ask a fresh.

About 3 months ago I bought a 3a ready to go...all I can say is that may have been a generous description 😂

Luckily I wanted a project!

One of the big jobs is it needs rewiring - it’s an 1800 Zetec on bike carbs with an auto sparks loom and mega jolt ecu (allegedly)

The wiring has been butchered and messed with beyond recognition - so I want to replace...as well as get rid of all the Sierra stalks.

Would autosparks be a good way to go (their standard front engine kit car loom) or are there better/easier alternatives?

3185995A-3CF6-4079-89FC-356D5361F887.jpeg

Autosparks or Premier loom would do equally well but replacing the Sierra stalks will create more work. Personally I like Premier because I've worked with a few of them so I'm familiar with how they're installed.

The Sierra switches are quite clever in how they operate both the hazards, and the self parking of the wipers so you need to ensure whatever you replace them with can support the same functionality. I've just finished changing from Sierra switches to some that didn't have the functionality and it's been a lot of work and some clever work with relays.

Hmmm....that’s really good advice. I’m handy enough but definitely a newbie when it comes to anything more than soldering!

Maybe I’ll phase it....phase one new loom (nice clean install) but keep the switch gear as is for now - and then tackle that as a future job when all else is sorted 

many thanks