Pinto performance ideas

Davo

My cheap(ish) recipe for pinto power is an injection head ( very important as it gives 10bhp over non injection head) an FR32 cam and bike carbs. Thin Rheinz head gasket to up the compression a little and you should see a solid 130bhp

Tuning the Pinto is so dependant on a good head and compression, most modifications fail to deliver because they have only thrown a cam in and expect big power.

Rods restrict peak revs but I’ll visit 7500 on the odd gear change but 7000 is safe

ok, so it looks like if I'm going down the efi route, I'll need to get the option of high pressure electric fuel pump as a start at least.

If this is correct, I currently have low pressure fuel on a mechanical pump, I'd need to replace that with an electric fuel pump, and a swirl pot?  If I'm doing this in stages, is to possible to have a switchable fuel pump to keep it at low pressure whilst I'm on my weber carb and then switch it to high when I'm ready for injection? Or is this exactly the job of a regulator?

I think I've probably found my answer.

Fuel tank in the back - > low pressure electric pump -> swirl pot -> mechanical fuel pump in the front -> Carb

Then when I'm ready to  switch to EFI,  replace the front mechanical pump with a high pressure electric pump.

Is that how its done?