spark plugs

Stewart

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have recently bought a 2B, whilst getting to know the car I noticed it has NGK AP6FS spark plugs in (gapped at 0.6mm).

Taking heed of the advice on this thread regarding the NGK APR6FS, what is the difference, what does the 'R' mean in the title?

Should I be changing them asap?

many thanks 

Hi Darrell,

I think the R means there is an internal resistor inside for suppression purposes, (but I might be wrong).  I'm assuming that you've got a pinto engine and I think the gaps might be a bit tight.  I would have expected something like 0.8mm, but again that would depend on what sort of ignition system you're using.  Does the engine run OK - if so I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yes I am running a 2.0l Pinto, I will try opening the gap up as it is running a bit rough especially on start up, I am slowly working my way through potential causes e.g. idle mix, plugs, timing, - anything you would suggest as a must to check?

Thanks for your reply

I think you've got the basics covered there and if you don't get it going any better it might be worth doing a compression test. 

If you're still struggling with it I'd suggest starting a new thread, giving as much detail of your engine as you can (carb type, ignition type, cam etc.) and maybe a short video of it running rough - there will almost certainly be somebody on here who's had the same, or a similar problem.

the "R" in the plug is for a internal resistor, This was done because of noise been picked up by the car radio from the alternator the original plug for the engine was N9YC 

Plug gap should be 0.8mm ( 0.032 Thou )

you can use NGK spark plug: Ford SOHC Pinto standard NGKAP6FS.

Edited by Daveo

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 10:18 AM, Daveo said:

the "R" in the plug is for a internal resistor, This was done because of noise been picked up by the car radio from the alternator the original plug for the engine was N9YC 

Plug gap should be 0.8mm ( 0.032 Thou )

you can use NGK spark plug: Ford SOHC Pinto standard NGKAP6FS.

Brill thanks for getting back to me