VIN

LewisH

Hi all,

For IVA can the VIN number and chassis plate both be riveted to the chassis or do I need to weld or stamp? 

I am hoping that I can stamp a sheet of metal for the VIN, then rivet to chassis and also stamp a chassis plate and then also rivet that to the chassis.

I tried to stamp into the steel chassis - got nowhere, even with a lump hammer. I could maybe have hit it harder but I was seriously worried about bending the chassis.

I was also far down the line before I realised I was going to have to weld, hence why poor Bob had to weld 10mm from my fuel lines! 😬 Obviously, I stood well back... 😄

• Like 1

I managed to get mine punched directly to the right side of the drivers floor panel, about underneth my knee. There are challenges, one is to keep a nice straight line if that matters to you, the other is to get the punches the right way round, because when you look at the end it's like mirror writing, you need to think like a typesetter. I managed to get one of the characters wrong, a back to front B I think....... anyway no one complained at the SVA, and the MOTs have just looked at the plate that I rivitted on the bulkhead.

To standardize, from the drivers seat right side is always right no matter where the steering wheel is or what side of the road you drive on. Likewise left is left from the drivers point of view. Worldwide standard. Done. 

36 minutes ago, marlin said:

To standardize, from the drivers seat right side is always right no matter where the steering wheel is or what side of the road you drive on. Likewise left is left from the drivers point of view. Worldwide standard. Done. 

So true, in the forces we worked on right-hand drive and left-hand drive vehicles so always used driver or passenger side. With the exception of Ferret vehicle one driving position in the centre!