MOT failure - headlight switch

Daled

Hi all, hoping to consult with the RHO brains trust as I just had an MOT failure for a headlight switch that doesn't dip from high beams to low beams. 

I checked the issue over, and it seems that the switch is sticking when the lights are turned on and they don't dip anymore. It's currently running this column switch and indicator stalk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiesta-Mk3-Stalks-Steering-Column-Indicators-Lights-Wipers-Washer-Control-Lever-/224311646974?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

And if I need to replace it, I would like to know what options other people use as i don't mind using a different version and would like to change the horn from on the stalk to a button on the steering wheel but as it failed MOT I only have 10 days to fix it. 

What would others do in this situation ? 

Buy that that switch and get your mot. Trying to swap to different stalks and the horn to the steering wheel isn't going to be a quick job and could easily end in tears.

For context, I've just done something similar and it got very messy.

Have you tried spraying with switch cleaner whilst opperating the switch to clear oxidation from the contacts.

If the switch is not operated frequantly contacts oxidising will happen if there is any dampnes around.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/lubricating-and-penetrating-oil/halfords-electrical-contact-cleaner-500ml-621335.html

WD40 works but will soon attract dust.

Thanks Ian wd40 was my first attempt and it didn't do anything... as if I saw even the slightest improvement I would have gone for the contact cleaner and persisted... but I think Rich is right I will bite the bullet and just get a replacement and hope its not an issue further in the system. 

Just curious what do you run?  as I have seen various methods in other cars from stalks to having a button for everything.

As the Sierra column switch in Florin is difficult to obtain now ( maybe impossible ) I fitted relays to the headlights, both dip & main; in the belief that the massive reduction in load would assist the life of the contacts. Does your motor use relays or is the Fiesta switch carrying the full load of around 10amps?

I don't have any column stalks, everything is on the dash (I like the cluttered look, reminds me of an airplane cockpit 🙂 ) but I did it while building - trying to change to that would be a lot of work...

https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.com/2016/06/dashed-if-i-do-dashed-if-i-dont.html

Edited by nelmo

70,000+ miles as a robin hood and 105,000 miles in the doner.

I understand that these were the last switches produced by ford to work without relays.

From 1985 I understand that thinner wireing to the dash and relays were the way forward.

Oddly enough I am right now looking at the lighting circuits as part of a rebuild. The 1986 Ghia donor had electric everything, so I am junking tons of wire. I can see that the headlights main beams (thick white wire) are not on a relay and have done 115 K miles so far through the stalk switches (two switches on/off and the dip/main switch). The dip beams (thin yellow) however ARE through a relay.  I will be putting the main beams on a relay as part of the rebuild.

So after a couple of hours of trying to get it work after I took it off the column I bought the new part and should be here by the weekend. 

And for information its all relay based.

Thanks to all who replied