Spartan wideband lambda sensor

nelmo

I have a Spartan2 lambda sensor fitted but it seems to have died - it's returning a continual 5v no matter how long the engine runs for, so the poor ECU isn't able to adjust the map and the engine is a bit lumpy. 

I've just re-read the instructions and noticed it says the sensor life is 100-500 hours 🤪. Some rough calculations suggest I'm near that top-end. Is this a known thing, that lambda sensors have such a short life? 

My 155k mile family car has never needed a new lambda sensor...? 

Or does anyone know if there's something I can do to kick it back to life? (I will contact the maker tomorrow but I think they might be in the US). 

First thought is broken wire or loose connector.

Other thought is that bosch state that sensor must be mounted at an angle but not vertically down so that condensation cannot form on the tip but drips off to the side of the tip. Recommended angle is 10 degree wire up from horizontal.

Yeah, I know but unfortunately, the exhaust system from GBS I used only has the hole at the top, only allowing a vertical setup. But there are lots of others using it like that (in fact, I've never seen a sensor at anything other than vertical 😏). 

I used a multimeter at the wire as it came out the controller, so it's not my connectors (which makes a change). 

Edited by nelmo

Third thought.

Do not power the sensor heater until the engine is running as any condensation ( from a cold engine/ inlet mainfold etc. ) hitting a hot sensor can damage the sensor by thermal shock. Once the engine is running the condensation will be blown out and the header will quickly warm past condensation temp.

If that was the problem, wouldn't the damage have been done now? Which could exactly be the reason why it is now knackered... 😕

I've emailed the company but I can someone else has had the same problem as me (the company has a Google group) but the company haven't replied to him in 2 weeks 😕

You're saying a constant 5v but this doesn't come out of the lambda sensor itself, you're talking about your controller, right? So it could very much be the controller at fault rather than the sensor. A spare sensor isn't a bad thing to have. I had an Innovate LC-1 that died within what must have been 20-30 hours of total running time; electronics fault - the Bosch sensor itself was fine. So it's entirely possible, I guess.

10 hours ago, brumster said:

You're saying a constant 5v but this doesn't come out of the lambda sensor itself, you're talking about your controller, right? So it could very much be the controller at fault rather than the sensor. A spare sensor isn't a bad thing to have. I had an Innovate LC-1 that died within what must have been 20-30 hours of total running time; electronics fault - the Bosch sensor itself was fine. So it's entirely possible, I guess.

Yes, exactly. I've asked Spartan if they can advise if it is the controller or the sensor. Not sure if I can buy those separately, though... 

Car is garaged so maybe sensor less likely to be the problem? 

• 2 weeks later...