Position of bends in the rear panel on a 2B plus

Guest jenson

Guest jenson

Hi, I am building a 2b plus with my son and I am just wondering if anyone can advise whereabouts I need to put the bends in the rear panel where it bends to the side and under the wheel arch. Ive watched the videos and they tell you how to fit it but not how or where to put the bends! Any advice or pictures would be great

I could be wrong (it was 15 years ago) but I think there was a mark on the upper and lower edges of the panel that when joined with a line showed the centre of the curve. This was formed by kneeling on the panel and bending the end up and "bouncing" it to shape. 

HTH

Nick

Bent Florin's rear end around my MIG gas bottle as it was nearest undersize "tube" I had.  If bent around your knee ( or any other part of your anatomy ) it will create a threepenny bit shape of several small bends. 

Suggest the centre of the chassis is found with a straight edge marking where the tube finishes touching it & dividing in two, transfer this to the panel centre & the finish of straight marks will give the start of bend, which will need to be over-bent to allow for spring back of the metal.

Check earlier recent post which also dealt with this panel.

Search for my post earlier this week, I literally asked the same question and worked out how to do it. There is a bend needed in the left and right hand side that isnt on any of the videos and i only just worked out that it was needed from seeing him fasten it from both sides on the video as he fits it. 

I bent my sides around a broom handle back on itself and the main corner around a gas bottle. Its scary and it does not seem like it will work but looked great in the end.