Hidden things on the IVA

Jthorneuk

I heard something about a "ladder" style bracket being needed for the seat mountings? 

An Exhaust heat shield 

Kit Spares sell a floor strengthening panel for hand brake mounting and seats, assuming this may not be needed then?

• Like 1

You're still allowed to burn yourself, passengers & members of the general public on your exhaust so no heat shield is required by IVA.

What you must not do ,under any conditions is cut yourself or them on sharp edges, all must be 5mm diameter or greater.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 11:05 PM, sylvia.fry2 said:

You're still allowed to burn yourself, passengers & members of the general public on your exhaust so no heat shield is required by IVA.

What you must not do ,under any conditions is cut yourself or them on sharp edges, all must be 5mm diameter or greater.

thanks, I think im more scared of the IVA than I need to be, Im expecting to fail and then get a list of all things to put right lol, If I do pass then it would be fantastic but I think the DVLA is taking upto 10 weeks to issue number plates so im not sure ill get it done this side of the summer 😞

Another thing iv just found out is they actually say on the videos not to fit the wind shield so that you can skip that, washers, demisters and so on. 

So do I just not fit anything there? or do I need to fit "something" instead of the window screen?

I would go with the mindset you'll get some failures at your first IVA; think of it more as a snag list. People's experiences are vary variable over the years, you can get picky examiners and you can get easy-going ones. Plan for the worst; hope for the best ;)

If you go to IVA with a windscreen then it must have the appropriate sundries also fitted at the same time - a mechanism to clear it (wipers), wash it (washers) and demist it (heater/blower mechanism or heated screen), wipers must sweep a certain amount clear, must sweep a certain speed, etc. It must also pass all the usual safety requirements in terms of edges, glass markings, etc.

A lot of people go to IVA with no screen, therefore meaning they don't have to make any effort around meeting those requirements. They get the car through the test, then fit them afterwards where they don't have to worry about using properly marked glass, or wiper blades/arms that meet requirements, or coverage, or speeds, etc.

There is NO reason why you can't go to IVA with a windscreen and pass, though. You just have to meet the requirements in the IVA guide, that's all.

Mine was SVA as it was a while ago now but basically the same idea. I failed first time on a few bits. One thing was the rear suspension top mounting tubes (the bits that slide up into the roll bar on the 2b to hold the top of the suspension) had to have crush tubes in. I had to take it away (fit them) and photograph it for the re-test. Failed on a few 'sharp' edges as well but nothing particularly difficult to fix. Listen to the examiner and take note of everything they say, even ask how they would expect to see the problem resolved etc as you'll prob get the same one again and if they feel you listened to them you'll get a much easier time of it.

On 3/15/2021 at 12:13 PM, Jthorneuk said:

Another thing iv just found out is they actually say on the videos not to fit the wind shield so that you can skip that, washers, demisters and so on. 

So do I just not fit anything there? or do I need to fit "something" instead of the window screen?

I'd definitely leave if off - much less hassle. If you leave it on, you have to have demister vents - in our cars?! When you mostly have the roof down (if you have one at all)? Pointless... (if/when you get a roof, go for a Surrey top - cheaper, easier to put up, no misting problems). 

I had holes drilled for the wipers and just fitted rubber grommets to fill them in for the test - ditto for the windscreen bracket holes (below is how I went to IVA) :

IMG_20170506_103536.thumb.jpg.ca0abf473351e09fc42b419c48f1bcff.jpg

I managed a first time pass with windscreen fitted. I did need to make a small correction to mirror positions. I think the key is to present a car that looks properly finished and ready to use. When I was there a manufacturer was retesting a failed car and to be honest it looked thrown together.