London to Brighton June 6th

dandan62

Hi David.

I participated in the event in 2019 - took one of my lads with me , who happens to live in London so overnight accommodation was layed on, and we had a good time.

It was a nicely organised event and on the run down to Brighton we took time out to stop off at a cousin's place for tea and cake!

It would have been even better had we known other participants and been able to partake with them ... but ... that was not to be the case.

Might be over priced for what you do/get out of the day but well worth the experience as a one off.

I would enjoy the event a second time ... if they offered me free entry!!

We had beautiful weather, which was just as well as I didn't take the roof with me ...

How does the event meet the covid ... 30 allowed to meet ... instructions though???

We are not all allowed to meet up without restrictions until June 21st are we?

Enjoy the day(s) - I see you live down south so no long motorway run to get there the night before.

It is worth contacting the organisers and asking for info on anyone from your locality who is entering and making contact with them if possible prior to the event.

Covid planning permitting ... enjoy!!!

All the best

Alan

Edited by alanh65

Hi Alan,

I have to admit I was surprised to see it was on and before the 21st June. My car hasn't left the drive for a few months so my heart did rule my head and I went for it expecting slots to go very quickly. I will be treating it as a drive out and will not for example be stopping at the lunch venue. I do take your point and may well reconsider. I'm sure they will be announcing further rules closer to the time. There is at least a refund if they have to cancel due to Covid. They may well be told to do so.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it at all. I certainly don't want to encourage any rule breaking!

David

I'd like to do that run at least once but you really need a navigator, don't you? Sadly, I have no-one interested in doing that sort of thing - wife gets car sick if she tries to read on the move and is not a fan of 'slumming it' in my kit and none of my friends are very interested in cars generally 😞

I'm really hoping to persuade my wife to navigate as my car mad son will be mid uni exams. Otherwise I will just have to trust that the car in front knows the route! This will be my first event if I end up going .

I have contacted the organisation and requested more info on the Covid regulations and will update when I hear anything. 

8A5B902A-F23D-4739-9876-7DC4D2D90553.thumb.png.eef39dd3c8ed88b70e8a399c8e65e8b2.pngI’ve done it a few times. 
a few of us get together and make a day of it.  
I took my zero , friends had a McLaren /Shelby mustang Gt800 , BMW i8 /Lamborghini and a few others I can’t remember we had a great day and are booked again for this year as the tickets were carried over from last year.  

Edited by blue

David ... the navigation notes they provide are really clear and easy to follow. Like you, my wife had no interest at all in accompanying me hence my son very happily came along.

A child can navigate from the route given out. If you join up with another vehicle ... or two just let them navigate and enjoy the drive. Other than that invite a mate ... or take a good neighbour ... anyone will enjoy the occasion.

Sorry part of this response is to Neil. I remember you saying a couple of years ago you were considering entering. Find a way if possible ... another magazine article here.    

Edited by alanh65

22 hours ago, alanh65 said:

Sorry part of this response is to Neil. I remember you saying a couple of years ago you were considering entering. Find a way if possible ... another magazine article here.    

TBH, I'm less keen because it's so close to me. The Vintage car run goes almost past my house, as does the Pioneer run (for bikes) and I regularly go to Brighton and I know all the good, back country routes, so I could do the same thing any day and have money for a couple of good meals out along the way.

Was planning on doing the Stilton run this year for that reason but it's been cancelled now 😞

Update..I have heard back from the organisation and they say they are in consultation with the venues and local authorities and will only go ahead with the event if it is confirmed that it can be held legally according to the Covid regs. I won't hold my breath!

It will be great if events are given the go-ahead ... if safe ... but unless they can split the event into batches of 30 people and presumably no general public gathering to enjoy the vehicles ... I don't see how.

We're all looking forward to being allowed back out and driving and socializing. Fingers crossed 🤞.

Good luck though.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...