S7 Front Coilovers

TheBean

My current adjustable SPAX Coilovers are now not giving me the ground clearance I need, The sump can be heard to scrape on certain roads which I want to avoid. I have adjusted the current one right up but being old they just don't jack the car up to where it used to sit, you can event see the track rods sitting low rather than level. 

Any way, this brings me to what do I replace them with. I don't have a fortune to spend but adjustable would still be nice to have. Main thing I need to know is the recommend length and poundage I guess. I did think about getting some spring assisters or maybe a 1'' stainless 'block' that I could fit between the top of the current coiler and spring to give it more tension, something like this.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Transporter-T4-Rear-Suspension-Lift-Spacer-25mm-1-inch-Made-in-UK/122025495622 This company will make any size to suit so I can just measure what I need and get them cut for me... 

Any information of help is much appreciated! 

Ok, having dug around, im going to just change the coils. I have measured the gap from base of adjustable thread to top of the shock and its just under 9 inches so will fit 9 inch coils. Now I just need to work out the poundage needed to allow the car to sit high but not ride hard.

6 hours ago, blue said:

Remember a shock NEEDS rebound and compression a spring that holds a shock at the full extent of the travel will drive HORRENDOUS 

Yes, got that. I'm working it out to sink by say an inch or so to allow for rebound and a decent ride. Hoping that's right. My coilover seem to be 9 inches at full 'out' setting so can wind them down about an 1.5inches if needed to stiffen up. 

6 hours ago, Peter Bell said:

Normally you want the lower suspension arm to be about horizontal, have you got a shortened sump or standard?

Sump is a RS2000 alloy one so standard depth. I had a shortened one but it was causing issues with hard cornering a while back so moved to the deeper alloy one. This is why I'm now trying to gain the extra few cm. It's OK day to day but in certain places the sump can just be heard to scrape. The storage place I have it at has a bit of a ramp into the facility and it just kisses as I roll over it, that's the main reason to be honest. 

I have 45DCOE fitted, the limiting factor is my oil filler cap / breather. I belive the mounts are up about as much as I can get them but will certainly take a look at that as an option. I need to measure the current clearance, if I cant get it up much more with the new coils I will buy a Premier motorsports shortened Sump. This will give me an extra 20+mm I think. 

I'm hoping the new coils will help, when I got the car the coils were at full extension, now over the years they are as done up as I can get them and it's still sagging. So that points at coils degrading over the years I guess. 

Let's hope I can gain a bit here and there which end up giving me enough in the end. 

Just now, dandan62 said:

I had the same issue with my S7 with inboard coilovers. I wanted as much clearance as I could get so made a bracket to raise the lower mounting points by about 1 ". Worked for me.

That may have to be an option. Will try the new springs and make a decision from there. Do you have any images of how you raised it? 

Did a post about it in "mechanics" section on 25th march last year called " ground clearance...solved" It has some photos of the bracket which I made out of steel u section that dropped into the existing u channel where the mounting points are. My fabrication skills are limited so it doesn't look pretty but it is very solid.