Bonnet fitment

Jthorneuk

Im at the stage of fitting my bonnet however when I place it on the car and push it back as far as it can go because the underside lip hits the horizontal bar thats the top of the dash and the nose cone hits the front of the car, there is still a gap above where the dash attaches of about 2 inches on the left and 3 on the right. Its as if it needs to go back further, 

Any advice? Ill try and get a picture 

mine has no gap, the mid-bonnet flanges are trimmed back to clear the dash-top tube.

If there's a gap there, isn't there also a gap between the bonnet and side panels? That can't be right can it?

44 minutes ago, Grim said:

mine has no gap, the mid-bonnet flanges are trimmed back to clear the dash-top tube.

If there's a gap there, isn't there also a gap between the bonnet and side panels? That can't be right can it?

It’s correct, no gap on the sides (see pic)

the bonnet is pushed back as far as it can be and has about a 2” overhang to the dash tube. However there is still a big gap around the top.

stumped me, I figured the bonnet needs to go back more so that the gap is smaller but it would be nearly 5” further back to do this and the nose cone won’t allow it and clearly the dash shouldn’t be recessed by that amount

44 minutes ago, Grim said:

DDDDCA21-48FD-4258-B2AA-F69856462E68.jpeg

14 hours ago, Bob Tucker said:

thats correct. It allows the alligator bonnet to open.

The dashboard fills most of the gap, and a rubber seal (from the Sierra)  attaches to the top of the dash and fills the rest.

HTH

I am with Bob, mine had about a 1" gap.

You have the option of how you wish to fit your bonnet.

My son and I choose to have a fixed scuttle and hinge the bonnet forward.

You will need a foam strip to seal the gap between the bonnet and the sides.

Kit Car  (6c).jpg

Edited by maca
Picture added

1 hour ago, Grim said:

It’s correct, no gap on the sides (see pic)

the bonnet is pushed back as far as it can be and has about a 2” overhang to the dash tube. However there is still a big gap around the top.

stumped me, I figured the bonnet needs to go back more so that the gap is smaller but it would be nearly 5” further back to do this and the nose cone won’t allow it and clearly the dash shouldn’t be recessed by that amount

1 hour ago, Grim said:

I’ve played with it some more but still if I clamp the passenger side down so it’s along the dash bar I have excess around where the steering wheel is. It’s like the bonnet is too wide

D7405405-B632-4C1C-9859-EF993D42F5CA.jpeg

137AD92D-8D9C-4E9A-925E-C99CB82C0EA4.jpeg

2CCBCA66-F32C-403E-90D5-EAE3AE9A41E8.jpeg

A6B90C55-325D-41A5-908B-002557FC4A4E.jpeg

Do you intend to fit the bonnet the "Robin Hood " way  --- with the 2 bolts on either side of the cockpit?  

Might be a lot easier to make the bonnet a lift off item --- then the dash panel can be made to take up all the "slack" which seems to be present.

I made a right pigs ear of my first bonnet & then went for fixed scuttle & centre hinge of two halves down the centre line of the car.

I wanted to stick as close to the build videos as possible to try and ensure I dont miss anything that then effects the IVA. 

This should fit, im stumped as to why it wont, and if it dosent follow the curve of the dash tube then its not got any structure support. I also worry if i cut it and fix part then ill just be moving the issue further down the bonnet.

going to take it off and start again, it maybe some material taken out of the nose cone will let it go just enough back to take out this slack 

You may find that by pulling the sides inwards a little the bonnet will fit better. Just needs a little tweak.

Where you have slid the bent stiffing panel you may be able to fix a small angle piece to help stiffen the panel straight along the top tube.

At the moment it is sagging down, it needs to be supported.

I would not recommend doing anything to the nose cone, to let the bonnet go back any more. 

Mine has about a 1" overhang from the side tubes at the corner. 

1 hour ago, Jthorneuk said:

I wanted to stick as close to the build videos as possible to try and ensure I dont miss anything that then effects the IVA. 

A couple of things to bear in mind. When this was designed it was SVA and it was a bit odd even back then. It's not as easy to work on the engine with the bonnet above you as far as i can tell and the firewall will never seal 100% from the engine bay. You would probably find an examiner is more used to a fixed scuttle and lift off bonnet. It's of course up to you but I'm another for chopping and doing a fixed scuttle. I did this on my own 2b. Not exactly spielberg quality but here is a vid i did showing my bonnet setup Robin Hood - project 2b scuttle mod - YouTube 

4 hours ago, agent_zed said:

A couple of things to bear in mind. When this was designed it was SVA and it was a bit odd even back then. It's not as easy to work on the engine with the bonnet above you as far as i can tell and the firewall will never seal 100% from the engine bay. You would probably find an examiner is more used to a fixed scuttle and lift off bonnet. It's of course up to you but I'm another for chopping and doing a fixed scuttle. I did this on my own 2b. Not exactly spielberg quality but here is a vid i did showing my bonnet setup Robin Hood - project 2b scuttle mod - YouTube 

Thanks ill take a look, i also dont really trust myself to cut it in a straight line lol..

Im going to try and clamp the dash on slightly higher and see if that can help shape it better and go from there. So odd as every other part i have thought would be hard to fit all worked out ok in the end expect this.