Bonnet fitment

Jthorneuk

6 mm oil tempered hardboard has worked on Florin for the last 10 years, & still O.K.   The slight flexibility  allows the board to pull down a little onto the top/side chassis rails, & the base line is re-enforced with 38 mm radius softwood; which then holds the base of the glove box.

Glove box ----- our is probably larger than some boots --- the smallish door surround holds the edge of an industrial hoover bag, which allows  Kit to fit in right up to the fire-wall/wiper motor/ instruments/scuttle. 

It seems there is some adjustment in the shaft but the bracket makes it impossible to use it. I did think about swinging the wheel on the U slips a bit to lift it up and forward at the same time but there is a strengthening bar also been put from the bracket back which is at its full forward position 

going to have another look tomorrow.. I may end up machining out the back of the 18mm in places to let it sit further back on the chassis tubes 

Looking at your pic i noticed something you may need to check for IVA. The covers on the pedals might fail. I have a feeling the brake pedal has to have a non-slip surface and that looks pretty smooth in the picture. would be worth checking the manual to be sure. 

Its a bit of a weird one for MOT 1. Brakes - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) as 

'A brake pedal without a rubber usually has grooves or raised sections to provide grip in wet conditions and should be rejected if it’s worn smooth. However, some vehicles may have been manufactured with a brake pedal which did not incorporate grooves or the fitting of an anti-slip material and these should not be rejected.'

Technically yours were manufactured with rubber covers and has been changed from the sierra setup so they might find fault with it. Might be safer to find a rubber type cover for IVA at least.

20 minutes ago, agent_zed said:

Looking at your pic i noticed something you may need to check for IVA. The covers on the pedals might fail. I have a feeling the brake pedal has to have a non-slip surface and that looks pretty smooth in the picture. would be worth checking the manual to be sure. 

Its a bit of a weird one for MOT 1. Brakes - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) as 

'A brake pedal without a rubber usually has grooves or raised sections to provide grip in wet conditions and should be rejected if it’s worn smooth. However, some vehicles may have been manufactured with a brake pedal which did not incorporate grooves or the fitting of an anti-slip material and these should not be rejected.'

Technically yours were manufactured with rubber covers and has been changed from the sierra setup so they might find fault with it. Might be safer to find a rubber type cover for IVA at least.

Yikes, didn’t even think of that. This is a closeup of the peddle, it does have holes drilled into it but not worth the oak of a fail to chance it. I’ll buy some more with rubber inserts. Or see if I can add rubber bungs into these holes. 

B186DE46-D83C-4D07-96D1-8B6E3AC16985.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

making progress on the dash and have now made it from 4mm alloy machined to shape.... I need to put a radius on the bottom edge as well as build in the two small glove boxes I have made..

My question is..  Im going to machine sections of the dash, ie the bottom edge, again from 18mm ply and then attach that to the back of the 4mm alloy to give the edge a total thickness of 22mm.. but it needs to be a radius of 19mm. So im assuming if i bull nose the bottom edge so that its a profile of a quarter circle...  that will be correct?

This is where I’m at right now. These wooden parts will be attached to the back making it stiffer but missing the chassis tubes so that it does not sit too far forward. Then a bunch of profiles glued and fixed together will form the thin dual glove boxes that couldn’t be any bigger due to the tube above the dash and having to mount the dash higher to fill the gap where the bonnet wouldn’t fit correctly. 

getting there.. slowly lol 

872B27E9-C228-4F70-B3EE-5F60601952EE.jpeg

68D630D4-46CC-4A95-92F2-03AB0539C83C.jpeg

C70F683B-7306-4226-8CC7-6C91A6E38CBF.jpeg

323A0176-B16D-4653-8D16-E9FE792B0319.jpeg

3CC6C641-FBC4-4FBC-B2DC-21C577451538.jpeg

9C66090D-5F36-4DBE-8E52-E49D536E452C.jpeg

496E1923-CD5C-45D3-B39C-2A451F0CC8B1.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Bob Tucker said:

I dont know what section  the IVA demands, but if as you say it has to be 19mm radius, doesnt  it need to be 38mm diameter?

this is what im not sure about, but surly nobody puts a 38mm diameter round section on the bottom of their dash?

13 hours ago, Jthorneuk said:

this is what im not sure about, but surly nobody puts a 38mm diameter round section on the bottom of their dash?

If the face & underside of the dash/glovebox floor is at approximately 90 degrees then the radius of 19 mm flowing from one face to the other should comply ?  Florin's dash is indeed 38 mm thick at the base, the dash face flows into this wooden 1/2 round profile; covered in 10mm dense foam mat & vinyl.  Examiner at IVA commented on how well this construction complied with the IVA manual.

You appear to have a brilliant method of forming your dash profile, so fit 38 mm wood/MDF/ply & shape all contactable edges to a 19 mm radius.