Road tax

Billy welsh

I think road tax is related to engine size and emissions so an engine swap might be the only way to reduce it.  I've seen a chart showing road tax bands and qualifying criteria, possibly on a government website somewhere, just don't ask me where.

There's nothing that you can "do" to make it cheaper as its black and white if vehicle is registered correctly other than change engine, taking a vin and reg from a car and going down exempt route is akin to well a rabbit hole of legal and moral issues and then false economy as you'll be paying insurance which wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on and then the implications of that in a time of need for other parties also. 

I have a 1983 reg car, 2 years off tax free, Of course many years ago I had a 1973 car due under the old system to be tax free (then 25 years I recall) when historic cars got frozen at before 1971, westminster can and will change the rules to suit rasing revenue where they can, so I might not get it this time.

With the advent of tax free electric cars expect the car tax rules to have a big shake up soon as more nissan leafs and teslas join the car fleet.

Rather than paying for full 12 months why not SORN it over winter, that's what I do and if you know it's going to be off the road for a few months ( repairs or upgrades) then SORN it then. That way you only pay tax for the months your using it

It'll be the old rules so if it's above 1549CC then it'll be the higher rate (£265) or below (£160).

The most annoying thing is my 1.6 pinto is 1593 so only 44cc's too much :(

Have considered having a smaller engine if i ever replace it. A modern 1.4 produces more bhp as standard and is about 50KG lighter than the cast iron pinto!

There was apparently a 1.3 pinto back in the day but i doubt you'll ever find one of those.

Or go electric :) 

What enjoyment can you get for less than £1.00 a day and put a smile on your face.

I SORN mine for 6 months and drive when the weather is nice.

How far can you go on the bus for a £1.00

Pay the money and enjoy the drive !!!

Tried a cat but it kept jumping out.

DSCF0013c.jpg