Pinto sump gasket seal

peter_m7uk

Hi, I used a cork gasket on my Pinto sump, but wasn't happy with it as I thought it was a bit leaky.   Hard to be certain, though, as I think I had other leaks above it!

Anyway, as my engine is out at the moment for a different reason, I thought I'd take the opportunity to buy a "competition" sump gasket from Burton and give that a try instead - https://www.burtonpower.com/sump-gasket-set-heavy-duty-ford-sohc-pinto-ft793kc.html.   Apparently, if there is a leak, oil makes the gasket material swell at that point and should stop the leak.

Thing is, now I've fitted it, it seems quite thin and I can see a wave along the joint, particularly in one place.   I ran a feeler gauge there and there was a small but definite gap in the seal.  Has anyone else tried this gasket and how was your experience??  I realise that the sump edge material can bend, also the bolts can distort the material when tightened, both of which can compromise the seal.   I had an idea to use a small piece of wood of the correct size, with a rubber mallet, then go right around the sump edge tapping it to try and close all the gaps - Anyone tried something like that?   What are the chances that the blue gasket material can swell enough to close a gap?

Pete 🙂

Edited by peter_m7uk
Added a bit

I have a Vauxhall redtop . They are  notorious for sump leaks. I have tried many solutions, but I have reverted to

using the standard cork gasket and Wynns black gasket sealer from Euro car parts, that has been 100% successful

every time I have rebuilt the engine.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/wynns black gasket

Edited by Bob Tucker

I have done similar bashing on cam covers, they distort if they are overtightened. But I think you will need a bit more than a piece of wood and a rubber mallet to encourage it to move, a steel chaser and a biggish hammer against a steel plate

Edited by Peter Bell

On 4/6/2021 at 12:40 PM, Bob Tucker said:

I have a Vauxhall redtop . They are  notorious for sump leaks. I have tried many solutions, but I have reverted to

using the standard cork gasket and Wynns black gasket sealer from Euro car parts, that has been 100% successful

every time I have rebuilt the engine.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/wynns black gasket

Thanks, Bob.  The annoying thing is that, having inspected the cork seal that came off, I'm starting to think it was actually okay!   I put that on when I fully rebuilt the engine, so I was able to turn the block upside down, get everything cleaned up and take my time over it to do a good job.   Like I said, there were other small leaks above it (dipstick, oil pressure sensor, oil filter), so it was possibly just wet with oil because of those 🙄  On the exhaust side of the engine, the sump gasket was bone dry..  My reasoning, though, was that "I've got the engine out now, so while I've got this chance, I might as well fit an improved gasket to be doubly sure".  (On the Lightweight, there isn't space to take the sump off without taking the engine out!)   I will really kick myself once I sort the dipstick etc leaks, if the new gasket decides to blow instead!!

Edited by peter_m7uk

On 4/6/2021 at 8:02 PM, Peter Bell said:

I have done similar bashing on cam covers, they distort if they are overtightened. But I think you will need a bit more than a piece of wood and a rubber mallet to encourage it to move, a steel chaser and a biggish hammer against a steel plate

I'll see what I can do.  The metal is relatively thin around the sump edge, though.   Another thought I had was to loosen all the bolts off again without them coming out, so the whole sump drops several mill.  Then smear a thin layer of gasket sealant, as Bob says, all the way around the gap and retighten.

Edited by peter_m7uk

On 4/5/2021 at 7:46 PM, peter_m7uk said:

Hi, I used a cork gasket on my Pinto sump, but wasn't happy with it as I thought it was a bit leaky.   Hard to be certain, though, as I think I had other leaks above it!

Anyway, as my engine is out at the moment for a different reason, I thought I'd take the opportunity to buy a "competition" sump gasket from Burton and give that a try instead - https://www.burtonpower.com/sump-gasket-set-heavy-duty-ford-sohc-pinto-ft793kc.html.   Apparently, if there is a leak, oil makes the gasket material swell at that point and should stop the leak.

Thing is, now I've fitted it, it seems quite thin and I can see a wave along the joint, particularly in one place.   I ran a feeler gauge there and there was a small but definite gap in the seal.  Has anyone else tried this gasket and how was your experience??  I realise that the sump edge material can bend, also the bolts can distort the material when tightened, both of which can compromise the seal.   I had an idea to use a small piece of wood of the correct size, with a rubber mallet, then go right around the sump edge tapping it to try and close all the gaps - Anyone tried something like that?   What are the chances that the blue gasket material can swell enough to close a gap?

Pete 🙂

PS  Do you see the 2 little white bits of plastic in the burton gasket kit?  What are they supposed to be for??  🤨