Windscreen supports

apgodden

2 hours ago, Bob Tucker said:

You have to put a curve in the support to match the curve of the bonnet. Try straightening the old ones to get a better idea of whether the new ones are actually different.

Not 100% as haven’t changed mine but this would make a lot of sense as from the picture the new one does look flat

The ones I have taken off Once flatten have more of an angle than the new ones!

Problem for me is are the ones that came off correct. I don’t have roof or doors so it would not have mattered.  I have just purchased doors so it has to be right.

can anyone measure the angle of the window support.

It doesn't look like you have much room on the new brackets for fitting door supports especially if you have to change the door angle to line them up with the car. Better off using the old ones refurbished.

The TWO bends that are made in these flat brackets are nearer the top of the trangle, so if there is any angle change between the leading edge and the base it is quite small. It is a pity that you have flattened the old brackets, as you could have used these to compare the bends that you will make in the new ones. I have recently had to do this on an Exmo, where in the virgin scuttle there are no pre-drilled mounting holes. Advice above about the distance from screen top means that you would need to mount the screen to check, which is going to be cumbersome unless you have a second pair of helping hands. In the end I cut out a piece of cheap low density plywood (about 15mm) in the shape of the framed screen and screwed in some triangular wedge pieces so that it would stand at the correct angle for the brackets, on the scuttle top. It only took an hour. This then was put in the desired position and as i made the TWO bends in each. Notice TWO bends, the one that follows the curve in the scuttle is made by hammering gradually forming a shape with regular checks aginst the scuttle. The second is made by twisting the support coumn in a vice. It's all on the build video (at least for the Exmo) and you have to be patient and not try to do all the bending at once.

Thanks For the info,  The supports from Kit Spares are thick steel and very very hard to form.  I got one side on yesterday but I am a little out on the 42" measurement which I can sort out,  I have a bit of a gap on the front of the bracket which I am having difficulty sorting. 

Here are a series of snaps, that shows the path I followed. As you have found the brackets are thick and hard to bend. So I started by making copies in thin mild steel, from the sides of an old desktop PC case. I practised the shaping process with these so that they fitted nicely. Then using one of those curve guages, with the sliding prongs, like a comb, I copied the curve of the scuttle at the centre of the brackets. Then with a jig saw I cut out several curves in dense plywood and bolted them together to make a solid former that I could use to help shape the curve. I then used this with clamps and a heavy hammer to make the curve, all the time comparing with the thin version and offering it up to the car, back and fore, bang bang bang, unclamp, compare shape, hold against scuttle, bang bang bang, same again, etc. etc. Happy with the curve I then made the bend for the upright bit. For this I made a clamp out of angle iron because my small vice was not strong enough (Cheap cast iron liable to crack) Then finally the upright must be twisted so that the flat surface mates with the windscreen frame edge. The pictures which show this happening are below.

AA-Windscreen-Pillar-01.jpg.c10dedd65701d7944e37f57bdea3a635.jpgAA-Windscreen-Pillar-02.jpg.0aca1c511fe2f89ef5432590fb9b099f.jpgAA-Windscreen-Pillar-03.jpg.1378e877614a9b1edf14724bf0b8c524.jpgAA-Windscreen-Pillar-04.jpg.ed71c8c968cac3d00343ef76d0ce1e0b.jpgAA-Windscreen-Pillar-05.jpg.282f06965305d285e9801385157bebe9.jpgAA-Windscreen-Pillar-06.jpg.ee4a6928ef3858ab6bfe5c62bec0a692.jpgAA-Windscreen-Pillar-07.jpg.d9d865bdf22455c751009340a5339b29.jpgAA-Windscreen-Pillar-08.jpg.0b118abffa91117c7f8fdccf3ef24a70.jpg

Got it done.  Both side now on and a measurement of 42” to centre of roll bar.  Had to move it back 1/2” to achieve this.

do you have any advice for fitting the doors? 

many thanks for the advice and pictures

Tony