Header tank or no header tank?

LewisH

I am very close to plumbing in the rad and filling with coolant ready for engine starting, but I am unsure whether I should take this opportunity to install a header tank.

Do you think I need one? My rad has been mounted at an angle in front of the chassis, pic below. I don't have a heater and don't plan on fitting one. Has anyone had issues with engine cooling with the exmo? 

rad.jpg

Hi Lewis, my car is a Haynes Roadster, (Pinto engine) so different to yours however the rad mount looks similar, my car has a header tank but I am sure cooling would not be a problem without it (my electric fan never comes on) but a couple of points to consider, is the rad cap accessible with the bodywork fitted and in the case of my car I unbolt the header tank and raise it when refilling the system. (makes it very simple to bleed.)

Looks like it's ok. I'd just have a pressure cap on the rad and run the rad overflow down in to a catch bottle ( metal water drink bottle from poundshop) making sure the pipe goes to the bottom of the bottle and is in a couple of inches of coolant. Bottle shouldn't be sealed, just vented to atmosphere.

I had problems with overheating in traffic untill I mounted the electric fan directly to the radiator. I was using the ford engine mounted fan.

I have the radiator mounted between the suspension butress and the engine and not in the nosecone.

Biggest cooling problem has been the system eating thermostats untill I filled with old style glycol antifreeze.