Exhaust replacement - Stainless ?

Daled

Hi all, 

I would like to replace my current exhaust as the manifold is very rusted and I think the silencer sounds like it has a hole in it. However I am torn between buying off the shelf such as 

http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/ford-pinto-2-stainless-steel-4-to-1-exhaust-manifold-mk-indy-and-7-replica.html and https://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_24&product_id=854&car=43 as I would like a cat with the silencer. 

Or take it somewhere to get a new custom version, although I have heard a few horror stories of people who dont know what they are doing. I had thought on splashing out and getting simpsons exhaust to build me one, but the lead time and cost is something is making me think twice. 

Does anyone have any advice on what they have done ? 

I built mine myself so can't help with suppliers but i will add that the one advantage with a custom setup is that you can get it to fit around things. Not sure how yours is currently setup but I know the steering shaft can be in the way of manifold and sometimes needs re-routing. I built my manifold to miss the shaft and also give enough room for the brake servo.

What do you currently have? is it a stainless exhaust system? If the box isn't actually leaking it may have just blown out all of the wadding. Cut a hole in the side where you can't see it and re-pack. I used stainless scouring pads around the perforated tube and glassfibre on top of that.

I have the RH 4 into 1 manifold on mine but a few years ago I had the rest replaced by a local company called Silver Systems which is a franchise of Powerflow exhausts and uses their stuff to make whatever exhaust you want.  It's stainless and I was well impressed by both the work and the price.   I took mine in to them and explained what I wanted. We agreed on the details and I got a quote there and then. I then booked it in for the work to be done (on a day when it snowed) and it was done less than 2 hours.

I think they have these franchise garages all over the country so you can hopefully find one near to you. 

I had a mate who was a Powerflow franchise - Powerflow supply the parts and, as you say, each garage bends and welds to your spec.

Simspon I wouldn't bother with any more - I had some stainless tubing from them on the Zero; they were expensive and it's discoloured already compared to much cheaper stainless tubing that I got from https://www.304stainlessexhaustparts.com/ for a de-cat section, which is still looking great (I will be using them more in the future!).

Personally I wouldn't go stainless on a manifold - the system, fine, fair enough - but the manifold I'd keep mild steel for longevity (it fatigues less, as I understand it). Unless you just want it for the bling factor, or for concours type cars where it's more important for it to look good than last. I suppose if you're not talking a high miler, then it matters less.

DSCF9253.JPG.af7ee058a1d2b1a030d85d7023b4a4bf.JPGComplete stainless steel system made by Maniflow of Salisbury.

Bling -- Yes,  Discolouration -- Yes ( I like the heat affected zone colours )  Flexi-joint fitted where a stress fracture occurred -- no other problems 10 years old now & 53 K  exhaust heat cycles.  Expensive ??  £700  --  but it was exactly what I wanted ( plus the Mini-lite style wheels )