3a front suspension

kelvinnoel

hi guys ,

after all the covid problems i have decided to fix the front suspension on my 3a ,at the moment it,s almost solid the only softness is in the tyres ,so i need softer front springs ,i have read somewhere that 120pound rating is needed as opposed to the standard 170s and replace the anti roll bar with (it is big enough to fit a centurian tank) with small tie bars ,so i need to know where i can buy them ,any advice would be much appriciated

Hi. I went to through the same issues a few years ago. I couldn't find an off the shelf kit for the tie bars so made my own using the original anti roll bar. Have a look for Dave Andrews on Google. It's got loads of useful info including some drawings for the brackets. As for the springs, 120 is about right. Size depends what coilovers you have at the moment. If they are the original Zimmerman's it is well worth replacing the whole units. I managed to find some used ones which fitted fine. Lots of people recommend Dave at Dampertec who knows his stuff about these cars. Having done the work it's great to see the wheels moving up and down.

thanks dan ,i will check it out ,i think i will staywith the original dampers as the car has only done 3000 since its original build and just replace the springs ,i also remember seeing a drawing somewhere of a replacement tie bar system i think it is on here but finding out where is a bit like looking for a needle in a hay stack

My advice is to do the tie-bar mods first as I think you will find a massive difference once it's done, I am using the original springs on mine as they suit my driving style, as yes they do go up and down. I have fitted softer springs on the rear 150lb and my car handles really well.