Wiper motor

zhap135

So wired in the wiper motor yesterday. Am using ford paddles, original ford relay, mini r&P motor, CBS fuse box. Everything works fine except for the Intermittent, which shift slightly and just stop. When turned off they return to park. Fast and slow work beautifully. 

Have opened the relay and seems in good nick, and clicks over when bench tested, but that is teh extent of my testing

HAs anyone had anything similar? I'm throwing this out to all before I buy a new relay - have been somewhat spend-thrifty of late.....

Edited by zhap135

Use the Ford relay on Florin without frequency of sweep control & it works fine -- ( all other wiper kit is Mini ) would suggest the relay is not bridging the park section on the wiper motor.  

Thanks Fry - Florin?

Sounds like you believe that its a new relay?

Should point out that only 3 of the 4 relay contacts are currently used. 

That's the problem isn't it - the one that usually goes to the int speed adjuster still has to go the fuse box, it can't just be terminated.....

And that will need a separate fuse I think as there isn't one on the CBS box, unless I use one that currently out of use - eg the interior lights....

Update: no, that isn't the issue (or might be, but trying it hasn't solved the problem), tried wiring that and nothing. Again other 2 speeds work fine.

2nd update: The Haynes wiring diag suggested that there should be a Bk/Y wire to a int speed adjuster. However looking at the old FB the unused pin actually links to a busbar which is earthed. Tried it, works now!🤩 There doesn't appear to be an option for an adjuster in my model (that would require 5 pins of the wiring diag was to be believed, which is not the case)

Fantastic, another job ticked off the list! Thanks for your hep Fry!

Edited by zhap135

Will try to be more helpful by looking at build electrics used -- but it was a long time ago.  Are you using "Longboarders" wiring diagram which shows the connections between mini 2 speed wiper & Ford column switch? 

3 hours ago, fry61 said:

Will try to be more helpful by looking at build electrics used -- but it was a long time ago.  Are you using "Longboarders" wiring diagram which shows the connections between mini 2 speed wiper & Ford column switch? 

No, am using the CBS wiring diag alongside the Haynes and working out with a bit of trial and error. I had it wired some time ago, so knew it all worked but decided to swap out the ford FB. It's been a pain, but I'm glad I did it

Mind you , sorting that out has enabled me to tidy up under the dash a massive amount - looks less like a trashed birds nest now..... only have a couple of unfixed wires. Washer, fan and stat (both to be sourced still but wires waiting for them) and radio (again, need to source that.) Also an obligatory wire that i have no clue what its for....🤣