Windscreen (cringe)

zhap135

Having a right job finding a supplier to do windscreens for an S7. I have the frame. but no glass. I'd like to get teh windscreen done as part of the test, as I'll be wanting a screen anyway, just seems to make sense, although am considering leaving it till after. Either way I'm having a job with suppliers.

Brum mentioned SHX Screens in Norwich, but I'm having a job contacting them - does anyone know whether they are still operational, and whether they still are using the same contacts?

Does anyone else have a sound responsive (cheap!) supplier, or have an S7 screen floating about?

I can see no reason why you want to fit a windscreen for the IVA.  You have to sort out wipers, heaters, washers...  Much easier to do all that after the test without the added hassle.  Just my opinion 😀

39 minutes ago, alanrichey said:

I can see no reason why you want to fit a windscreen for the IVA.  You have to sort out wipers, heaters, washers...  Much easier to do all that after the test without the added hassle.  Just my opinion 😀

Yeah, a lot of the infrastructure is already there, and the ports for wipers washers and vents were already cut. At some point i'll need a screen, so regardless of IVA the q stands. I never knew it would be such a pain trying to find glass!

1 hour ago, alanrichey said:

On the plus side at least you know it's been inspected, which should hopefully make it safer for everyone. Although if they allow it to pass with the 3 self tappers per side that RH tell you to use in the videos then safety is quite literally out the window!

I've heard a few people say they get a glazier to cut a landrover defender screen to size. If they cut it in the right place it will have the correct markings as it needs to be laminated. A lot of our older screens are toughened but not laminated and won't pass anymore. I've bought a film to put on the back of mine to stop glass going everywhere if my screen breaks.

52 minutes ago, Peter Bell said:

Try contacting a local screen company if they will cut you one as above. I know it was many years ago but Autoglass cut me one for a Dyane once

That's a great tip, will give them a shout - didn't consider them as I though they only did prefabricated

It won't pass IVA unless it is marked, has to have 43R & the word Laminated on it, I've just failed IVA on this same issue, not on a RH, but I submitted mine with a laminated screen from a 1973 VW Beetle 1303, the tester agreed it was the correct screen, even said VW on it, but as it wasn't marked with 43R & Laminated it failed. Also a heated screen would also need blowers, go figure that one.

47 minutes ago, phaeton said:

It won't pass IVA unless it is marked, has to have 43R & the word Laminated on it, I've just failed IVA on this same issue, not on a RH, but I submitted mine with a laminated screen from a 1973 VW Beetle 1303, the tester agreed it was the correct screen, even said VW on it, but as it wasn't marked with 43R & Laminated it failed. Also a heated screen would also need blowers, go figure that one.

Yeah, I'm considering getting the IVA done without a screen, otoh I still need to get the car there, and an hours drive without a screen would probably be not much fun, andneed a crash lid, if only to protect the eyes from insects and grit. it would save a load of hassle re the infrastructure mind.

No way! some times these rules tie themselves in knots....

24 minutes ago, 2bTom said:

Will this pass?

IMG_1905.jpg.974806ce04d2d23e4c669fadee544a5b.jpg

No, not according the IVA manual because it's missing the mandatory relevant marking shown in table 1 of Section 45. This would be I for a toughened (tempered screen). That said, mine passed with exactly the same screen so my examiner either had bad eyesight, or wasn't too bothered.