Robin Hood 2b handling

Hi all.

probably been asked a millions times before, the handling on my 2b is shocking extremely tail happy to say the least, I’ve had a 2b 04 in the past, handled like a dream compared to what I just bought…. Just waiting on a set of team dynamic pro race 1.2, hopefully that will help with the grip and…. With good tyres of course, just wondered what else I could try to make it a bit better

18psi on the front 20psi on the rear as that’s what I use to run my old 2b on, the original zimmer rides suspension, I had 15 inch alloys on at the moment, good tread on all tyres, never heard of the name before tho road x on the tyre, what tyres would you recommend for my 15 inch wheels I’m getting next week, updating them as I don’t like the boy racer ones I have now

Most likely the unknown tyres are at least a part of the problem. You need a tyre made of a soft compound. Most tyres are designed for a weighty production car. I use Michelin Pilot 4s. Ive never tried anything else, but Im sure others will have other suggestions. Use the search function to find previous posts about tyres

For track (& dry roads) I use Toyo 888s, which have astonishing grip once warm. But they dont last long, and they are awful if its wet or cold.

Pressures are fine. I'm sorry, but the Zimmerides are "not very good"! Proper adjustable coilovers are the way forward. You can use the adjustment to trim out over and under steer. Dont have the rear of the car too low. That gives -ve camber which affects handling. Try to get the wheels vertical.

Have you got wishbones or sliding pillar on the front?

Having a think about this on the way to work this morning and wondering if any of the following applies...

Did the one have an LSD and the other not? 

Similar to above did one have a different diff ratio - therefore different gearing/power at certain rpm. Or different gearbox type9 vs mt75 for example, or even the diesel type 9 which i think has a different set of ratio's.

Baffled fuel tank or different location of fuel tank - if your fuel tank is right at the back and sloshing back and forth it could cause problems in cornering

Is the pedal box the same - a longer throw accelerator slightly reduces sudden changes in power.

If the dampers are shot then it may not keep the wheels firmly on the ground over bumps.

As for tyres i run uniroyal rainsport 3's. I don't drive fast so can't really tell you too much on that front but i would guess they are a soft-ish compound as they are designed for rain which is going to be cold. Good if you get caught in the rain as well. I had cheap V tread tyres with the tread almost to the limit and got caught in the rain and it was like ice skating. The rainsports are also a good price.

I have Gaz coilovers all round. I got them from various places, but I think Dave at Dampertech is the current recommended supplier.

I cant give you coilover lengths or spring rates, I fitted them in 2007 & dont have the paperwork any more. Or the memory!!