ZZR1400 engine - master cylinder size

Erazor

Hi, Just joined the forum and need help. I have put a Kawa ZZR 1400 engine into a Bond Bug. The existing Kawa clutch lever has a tiny reserviour and a very small piston to operate it. How do you guys work out the correct piston size needed when converting it to a pedal box operation? The standard brake master cylinder bore on a Bug is 1 inch and an eight.

Obviously a lot more leverage as well with a foot and a pedal. How do I work out what to use for it to work correctly ?

I wouldn't attempt to try and calculate it, too many variables and would probably be wrong.

Reliant clutch master cylinder should be 5/8" bore (16mm). I would start by piping that up as it is and see how the clutch feels. I suspect you will be able to easily disengage the clutch with only partial pedal travel due to the large bore and the clutch should be light because the spring in a bike clutch will be weaker than a car one.

You need to see if full pedal travel is overloading the slave cylinder and if it is, either get a smaller bore master cylinder (think 5/8" is already the smallest Girling do) or move the pushrod connection closer to the pedal pivot point.

If you are you intending to use the existing slave cylinder looks like you have a problem with using a standard pedal master cylinder. What you need to know is how much movement the clutch requires, then measure how much movement your existing 5/8” master cylinder has. It’s a simple ratio calculation then ie. if your master cylinder moves 1” then a 5/8” slave will also move 1”.