comms equiipment

My car is finally ready to go on the road and as my daughter has finished school I am planning to take her on a couple of days out. This got me thinking about the comms set we normally use when out for any period of time. It is a really cheap one and to be fair to it , works quite well but it is fiddly with a lot of fine wires and has to be used with a helmet ,putting the ear piece in then the helmet on trying not to pull any of the wires and then the reverse before you get out. I don't always want to use a helmet so this is a limiting factor.  Does anybody have any better equipment they use?

I would be interested in something that I could use without a helmet or with, maybe two separate systems or one that is adaptable to use without as well. There must be something out there nowadays that is suitable and preferably without masses of wire. Tell me about yours!

x

Hi Kevin many years ago I bought a cheap Aldi/Lidl version with an earpiece and Mike. The problem was there is so much noise you can’t hear the earpiece! It would be ok with a helmet on, I think you will need a set of over ear headphones like rally cars use. Then you can’t hear bits falling off either.

We use a Terratrip Professional intercom with clubman practice headsets. The intercom is in the boot with the coil cables coming out by the rollover hoop. I have an extension lead so I can plug in a mini DAB radio that plays through the headsets. A mobile phone can also be connected or a 2way radio. We use them all the time, saves a row when mis-understood commands are issued from the passenger seat. 

Its not cheap but the service from them has been great. Go direct to Terratrip   http://terratrip.com/pro.html

P. S. Cheaper alternative to the headphones is to use the helmet version and install in ear defenders. 

Just the mike support to engineer, you could use the bent coat hanger that replaced the radio aerial that's not needed anymore. 

Edited by Derek

I do have a windscreen but the car is still too noisy for conversation. I thought a bigger better exhaust might cure this but although it made it a bit better we still have to do with a lot of nodding and shaking of heads, pointing and then a shrug as we give up. Thanks for all your comments, I think we will stick with the cheapo set for helmet days and invest in a terratrip set for when the weather is better. They are not that cheap but you do get what you pay for generally and if it solves a problem it will be worth investing. I do like the idea of being able to plug in a dab radio or phone and we already have a set of good two way radios.