Zetec engine to MT75 gearbox - GBS zero

wowblaauw

Hi all, hope you’re all keeping well.

I am replacing the current engine gearbox package with a zetec, mt75 gearbox, prop, diff and shafts with the diff, prop and shafts in and done it’s now onto bolting engine and gearbox together and installing into the car.

My issue today is when mating gearbox to engine with new release bearing from GBS I literally have about an inch of meaningful travel on the clutch release fork. My flywheel is a light weight turbosport item, the clutch plate is a cg 5 paddle and the pressure plate is from a focus rs turbo. 

Any help would be gratefully received in working out why I have so little travel between thrust bearing engaging with pressure plate and full travel of the fork. 

Thanks in advance

Craig

As I am sure no-one is an inept as me, you probably haven't done this but when I was building mine, I put the thrust bearing on the wrong side of the fork ☺️. Luckily, I realised before I installed the engine but not sure if that would produce the symptoms you describe?

Hi Nelmo

I think you undo yourself - I'm sure I take that position in builder speak...

I spoke to GBS this morning and they assure me that I need their TRA0019 part which puts the clutch fork in the correct position. As it happens, I had bought one of these in anticipation of this very moment some time ago. The gearbox I had purchased had the original work around this issue, drilled and tapped and a M12 bolt with a filed end to fit the fork. This is adjustable as well but still gave this issue whereas the fork once engaged with bearing and pressure plate leaves around 1cm of travel for the clutch which is not nearly enough. I have an image of the fork at engagement of thrust bearing to pressure plate. As you can see it literally has around 1cm of travel before the fork runs out of space. Just to be clear, the bearing is a GBS part as is the fork pin.

Any help with this would be gratefully received.

Craig

Fork travel - 1.jpeg

Where did the gearbox come from?  

There are a couple of various although rare types of this box which had a setup called a low lift clutch this was something tried by Ford but was soon dropped as customers were complaining of crunching when changing gears. 

The gearbox originally came from GBS with remote gear shift and adjustable clutch fork but was never fitted - I purchased it from another zero owner. That said, I did chat with GBS today and discussed the issue which they say seems ok but the only way to find our for sure is to fit the engine and try it. 
So fitted the engine this afternoon - wow, what an effort. I took out a Zetec n/a and I’ve fitted a hybrid turbo zetec with st170 block blah blah and found my next issue which I’ll post in engines shortly. 
If you’re in the know then you’ll understand my predicament with the nr side engine mount! Arrrrgh! 
Any how, I’m going to go with GBS’s input and see what happens when I finally get this engine in.

Thanks again for now, I’ll post back shortly.

Cheers, Craig

Yes, this i purchased some time ago in advance of this installation. I reverted back to the original m12 bar with a spherical head which mates to the fork and held in place with a spring clip. I’m then able to adjust from outside the bell by way of a locking nut. Actually works well. As mentioned having spoke at length with GBS on this I decided to go ahead with the install and test once in - I now have engine installation issues as per my new listing in engines. Looks like it’s going to be a long hot summer in the garage…

I know this won't really help, but as I had my Superspec on axle stands I took the opportunity to take a picture of the clutch arm on my MT75.   As you can see there is nothing like the obstruction you have and mine has full travel available (no idea what the audio cable is wrapped around the cable, I will have to investigate 😀)

I can only assume that your clutch pressure plate is a lot wider than the one fitted to the Superspec (Rover T16 engine).  I can't help you on what model clutch I have as Superspecs seem to odd.   We had assumed Rover, but some have reported Ford and one owner who is presently stripping his down says the clutch has a Mazda part number.  I should also note that I have a spare gearbox and the clutch arm on that is totally different to the one on my car.

1.jpg

Hmm, food for thought. Although having re-read Blue’s post it would seem logical to assume that I have said gearbox. I’ve just about sorted the engine mount issue and will fit a cable and see what’s what. Watch this space…

• 8 months later...

All,

Having nailed all my other issues, the clutch has been bugging me so I bought another AP pressure plate in the hope that it was my pressure plate which was causing this issue only to find that the replacement didn't fix this issue. Back to the drawing board so I removed the engine gearbox ahead of the final build to replace the whole clutch. My question therefore is, which clutch is favoured by the Zetec turbo to MT75 builds?

Thanks again for all of your help, it is very reassuring to know that there is this pool of knowledge ready and waiting to help the poor souls like me. That said, if your Apple product Mac or iPhone or iPad breaks, then bring it to me...

Cheers

Craig

Clutch is all dependent on power in my 2b I was running a pinto clutch for some time until I took it up to 275 bhp and the clutch couldn’t take any more 😂 so I phoned up cg motorsport told them what my set up was what power I want and they made me what I needed for my car all together works perfect and ready for the rollers again on the 4th for 300+ bhp hopefully 

All, looks like this is what I need: to extend my MT75 thrust bearing by 19/20mm see attached in the turbosport site will sort my short clutch arm travel.

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=84458

If anyone here has a spare spacer and or thrust bearing please let me know.

Thanks

Craig

• 3 weeks later...