Twin 45 issues

MarkBzero

A few members have noticed that my car is smelling a bit rich. It has been on a rolling road twice and always comes off slightly rich to play it safe.

Anyway thought this weekend I would investigate further. On inspection of the carbs I noticed cylinder 3 & 4 had petrol pooling on the chokes. It appears the needle valve was not closing or the fuel pressure was to high.

Stripped the carbs and needle valve was OK, free to move and floats still adjusted right.

The floats are black plastic and not the brass type, but I notice one set was slightly heavier. I shook them but could not hear fuel sloshing, tried the float test under water and could note see any bubbles. WTF. So I put them on the kitchen scales (don't tell the wife) and one set was much heavier. However, when squeezing the heavy set I noticed fuel oozing out, rammed a knife into it and noticed they are not hollow like the brass. They were a like a sponge with a  hard case.

Problem solved just need to order a set of floats for dcoe and fit before kitfest.

8 hours ago, blue said:

Morning mark.   Are they Weber 45s.   If so order a new set from WEBCON it’s the new 5% ethanol fuel the new ones made by WEBCON are ethanol proof. 

Done, it's where I got the original twin 45 with 5 progression holes. Just waiting for delivery, fingers crossed for this week before Santapod.