Mountney boss removal

LewisH

Has anyone removed the Mountney boss to swap out for a different wheel? 

I have bought a Momo wheel which has come with a new boss, but I am struggling with how to remove the existing.

Pics below, first part of boss removed, but not sure how to remove the rear section. Is this on a thread? Tips on how to get this off would be great, many thanks.

Steering wheel.jpg

Steering wheel (2).jpg

It's on a taper and the centre holes can close up around the thread on the shaft.

Put the nut back on and screw it down so the top is flush with the end on the shaft. This should leave a gap between the back of the nut and the boss. Grab hold of the boss an pull it towards you while you give the end of the shaft a few sharp taps with a hammer.

Yeah as richyb66 says they get proper tight on there. I've done similar to above but with the wheel in place i push and pull on opposite sides to loosen it.

I put mine on a lathe a couple of months back as the same as yours the paint was flaking. It's not perfect but i gave it a buff and left it as ally.