E10 fuel

RedTrev

What's the feeling about this imminent change to the ethanol content in standard unleaded fuel?

I'm reading it means little change to performance or economy, but some components may suffer, like fuel pumps, carbs, filters, pipes etc, depending upon their compatibility with ethanol. Some parts, like the fuel pipes, are, I guess, easier to confirm, based on their spec, but most of us have a good mix of parts from different donor cars/bikes that could be more difficult to confirm (pumps/carbs etc.).

Is it time to use only "super" fuel like BP Ultimate or Shell V Power, etc. to avoid problems? 🤔

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

Interesting - my lawn mower has a warning on the filler not to use more than 10% ethanol-mix fuel. I wondered what that was all about! I've learnt something today :)

I only ever put Super into the kit anyway so I won't worry too much... but I have seen what happens to crappy/cheap non-rated "fuel" pipes when used with even E5 fuel so your statement above doesn't surprise me...!

Apart from Rover/MG, I guess there'll be a few makes and models having no data because the manufacturer no longer trades, but the vehicles may actually be compatible:

Rover

No compatibility information for Rover cars is available as the manufacturer no longer trades. It is therefore not recommended to use E10 petrol

No mention of ZX-9R in the list for Kawasaki, so my carbs might be at risk:

Kawasaki

E10 fuel compatible Kawasaki motorcycle models:

• KLX125 - 2010
  • D-Tracker 125 - 2010
  • KLX250 - 2008
  • Ninja 250R - 2008
  • Ninja ZX-6R - 2007
  • ER-6n - 2006
  • ER-6f - 2006
  • Versys - 2007
  • Z750 - 2007
  • W800 - 2011
  • VN900 - 2006
  • Z1000 - 2009
  • Z1000SX - 2011
  • Ninja ZX-10R - 2006
  • ZZR1400 - 2006
  • 1400GTR - 2008
  • VN1700 - 2009
  • VN2000 – 2008

Honda make a statement about their carbs:

Honda

All Honda motorcycles and mopeds produced for the EU market since 1993 can use ethanol-blended gasoline up to 10% although carburettor-equipped models could experience poor driveability in cold weather conditions.

I've replaced all the fuel hose on my car this year, partly due to age but I made sure to buy decent hose to replace it. I ended up buying cohline r9 (e85 compatible) hose as it wasn't too much extra.

Aside from the rubbers/seals issues, the remainder of the material issues I see are from the corrosion of certain metals due to the slightly hygroscopic nature of the ethanol content. I'd be tempted to flush the car through with a tank of super if the car is going to be stored for any time, but if the car is in occasional use I would think the fuel should not absorb too much water in this time.

• Like 1

hi have just comeback from 4days holiday to South Yorkshire and noticed that i have have  pinking on acceleration eg up hills the timing was checked late last year do think it is the std petrol would running super be better or add a octane booster in with the fuel be better ?