Pinto questions

Tom09tom

Hi all,

So after 2 years off the road, I have gotten round to getting my robin hood back on the road. Passed mot after a new set of spark plugs cleaned the emissions up.

However the engine is running poorly, it only revs to around 3000rpm and once there makes a horrible vibration noise. When driving it won't go above 60/65 mph.

I don't know exactly what work has been done on the engine before I got it, and I am not an expert engine person,  but the specs are below:
2L pinto , maybe has been bored out to 2.1.
It's not a '205' block. 
Kent fr32 cam.
Was told it will run on unleaded. 
Weber 32/36 carb with electric choke. 
I don't know what jets are in.

What sort of performance should I expect from this engine? I am not after anything special but my little 1tr Suzuki city car is faster 😆

Will a session at a rolling road make a decent engine out of the setup I have got? 

Thanks in advance.

From what you say I understand that you are not the builder.

Before you took the car off the road how did it run?

My car has a nearly standard 2l pinto and can easily exceed uk speed limits, so something is wrong.

I doubt that rolling road is the first option.

New plugs got you through MOT so first thoughts are fueling and dirt/rust in the carb. Mot only tests engine under no load.

Try new petrol to see if it improves things.

Replace fuel filter if fitted.

Then it is strip down and clean carb and check that float chamber level is correct and clear any deposits in the carb.

Good luck

Have you checked the carb for 'jellied petrol in float chamber n jets? happens when petrol stands and it goes off, is the fuel filter partially blocked? have you checked the ignition timing & the valve timing? theres lots to do before you go for rolling road session

Hi, thanks for the replies. 

Car has always run like this. I used it for one summer, then had the 2 years off.

There must be something just not set correctly. The garage did have a look at the timing for me but they are more into modern cars. 

Think I'll get my self a timing light and start there. I will also check in the carb for debris. 

Find a local rolling road -by the time you buy a timing light etc etc someone that knows engines will find this in minutes 

even if you find the problem and get it running better by the sounds of it you will still need it put on the rollers so why spend money on buying bits when it has to go on the rollers anyways! 

• Thanks 1

An update,

I went ahead and got a timing light. Checked it and it was way to advanced. Moved it back to 10degrees then went for a test drive. 

Much improved. Revs a lot better and managed to get above 70 on the motorway and could have gone faster. 

I still want to take it to a rolling road and have an expert set it all up properly but at least now it is useable. 

Thanks