Fuel line

zhap135

The (inherited) fuel line on my S7 (monoquoque) is metal (presume copper) and runs the rough the tunnel. Got to admit that I don't like it, not least as it isn't flared so there isn't a positive secure when attaching rubber - I'm not even sure if it is acceptable to IVA in its current from

My question is were I to reroute it are there any rules from the IVA? Have been poring over the manual, and haven't identified any reference to the line (I know there must be some somewhere) Am toying with running a continuous rubber fuel line along the top of the tunnel which will be secured and covered with an upholstered MDF panel , routed to provide a conduit (already have the panel in question, just needs to be modified). I'm just uneasy that would be an acceptable solution.

I really don't want to have repeat it's existing route, through the tunnel as I'd have to dismantle the tunnel to ensure that the line could be sufficiently secured.

Am I over thinking this? What have other folk done or considered for this?

Edit: you can just see the fuel line emerging into the engine bay on the bottom of this picture.

IMG_20210711_171341861.jpg

Edited by zhap135

Hi

My S7 has one piece rubber fuel line from tank up into boot floor, through bulkhead, and runs inside side rail through cockpit and into engine compartment to fuel pump, I have had no probs at all with this set up.

Regards

Harry

35 minutes ago, Pintogogo said:

Hi

My S7 has one piece rubber fuel line from tank up into boot floor, through bulkhead, and runs inside side rail through cockpit and into engine compartment to fuel pump, I have had no probs at all with this set up.

Regards

Harry

Thanks Harry, is that along the top of the tunnel, or just inside the box section where the passenger might test their left elbow?

On the similarly bodied Exmo I have used the small "microbore" copper pipe (6mm I think probably what you have there). Like Harry it is routed up into the "boot" and the out through the nearside wheel arch to run in the box section under the passenger's arm and to the fuel pump. You can create a "flare" by soldering an olive at each end so that the rubber connectors can be pushed over and a clip put behind the olive.  In that long run down the side, I placed a plastic (PVC?) 15mm water pipe. The cooper pipe runs through this to protect it from any sharp bits of SS that have not noticed or can't get to. Long time ago. Only an SVA for me, all the checked on was that it was secured at regular intervals, they dis not measure, just a visual assessment.

Edited by Sparepart
spelling mistuk

On 7/13/2021 at 1:27 PM, kevin the chicken said:

Ian makes a good point about fuel. I have copper pipe running along my transmission tunnel meaning if it deteriorates I only have to change a couple of short pieces near the tank and the pipes in the engine bay. 

Thanks Kevin. Tellme, how is the fuel line secured in the tunnel?

On 7/14/2021 at 9:59 PM, blue said:

E10 fuel corrodes COPPER PIPE. Inspect carefully and regular 

Think you may be in the next century before problems -- was told that my solder joints on 28 sec heating oil would fail due to the solder being corroded --when -- maybe in the next few centuries. 

I can't say for sure how it is secured without looking but I am fairly sure it is held in place with p clips and self tapping screws. This is an old car though  so may not meet modern standards. Having said that they are still there after 25 years 

On 7/14/2021 at 9:59 PM, blue said:

E10 fuel corrodes COPPER PIPE. Inspect carefully and regular 

The AA are already stating if your car breaks down and you have filled up with E10 they will not respond as it’s not a break down but “user error “ 

lets see if in the coming months we start seeing posts on car suddenly running rough