Screws for windscreen

nelmo

Anyone know what type the self-tappers are, that GBS supply with their windscreens? 

I ordered s/steel, A2 (?) type off eBay and the first one snapped off as soon as I tried to get it into the frame 😡

I would call GBS but I just need something quick before a run this Sunday. 

I'm just doing a repair at the moment - I used the GBS screws when I first built the screen and they were fine. I recall them being almost triangular and I assumed s/steel. 

Will rivets work if you're not going all the way through the frame? 

I thought self-tappers always had to have a point? (I mean a literal point, not an aim in life 😁

Went to a local shop and bought some others - I think maybe if I drill more of a hole for them, it will work better. 

Taptite screws have a machine thread on them, like M4, M5 etc.  and a blunt end. The first few threads are tapered so they've got a lead in to a pre drilled hole, the size of which is fairly critical.

The triangular shape of the screw body helps them tap the thread as they go in, a bit like a tap and screw all in one. Better than a traditional self tapping screw, less likely to strip and more serviceable.

22 hours ago, nelmo said:

I'm just doing a repair at the moment - I used the GBS screws when I first built the screen and they were fine. I recall them being almost triangular and I assumed s/steel. 

Will rivets work if you're not going all the way through the frame? 

don't know mine has a small gap between the edge of screen and frame 

9 hours ago, knights_templar said:

what bit do you need the screws for?

All done now - I think the original screws might have been fine, I just didn't drill a pilot hole, so they obviously needed that. 

The repair is on my blog with pics - no quality-shaming, it's an ugly job 🙂