Superspec clutch

deano266

Hi all, took the superspec to be a wedding car and it decided that this was a good idea to get stuck in gear. I can change gear when sat still, however once the engine is running fat chance of that happening. The clutch pedal won't even press more than inch even if I put all my weight on it.

Sooooo, the question is what is the clutch from and how much do we reckon its going to cost?

I know someone who has just changed his clutch and can tell you everything you need to know.  Not sure he’s on here so I will get him to post a reply.  Alternatively ‘wanderer’ has also just done his clutch so he might reply.

I've asked him to post the details, alternatively he is on Facebook, Chris Mccormack.   However, I have found some information that he sent me:

Clutch Plate -   Use EXEDY MZK2100  -  £100

Pressure Plate - This is slightly confusing as he quoted LUK 623 3350 00.  But when I googled that I got the full 3-piece clutch kit - £135. 

My spare clutch pressure plate has URB10009 0215 stamped on it so that is another option to search for.

Release bearing - While you have it apart you might as well try the official MT75 release bearing.  Google 500 0071 10.   However there must have been a good reason why Richard made up his own bespoke bearings, I just don't know why.  But at £20 it's worth a try.

I will be interested in how you get on, my belief is still that the release bearing is meant to clip into the release arm, and ours aren't, hence the rattle.

Let me know if you need any more information.   I would also like to know how you manage to lift the car up 😀

3 hours ago, deano266 said:

The clutch pedal won't even press more than inch even if I put all my weight on it.

I take it you have eliminated the cable as the failure point ?   Can you still rattle the release arm or is it seized ?

@alanricheyclutch cable is all in one piece but there is absolutely no movement from the top of the clutch pedal, however whilst I'm at it the cable will be changed so that it's not something I ever have to think about.

I'll get on it and have a look. Hopefully a friendly garage will help me out in lifting it up and out to drop the gearbox out. I will update on how things go and if I can get rid of the rattle that would be amazing

17 hours ago, deano266 said:

The clutch pedal won't even press more than inch even if I put all my weight on it.

That was what made me wonder if the clutch cable had seized.    Although mine have never seized I have had one get so stiff it was almost impossible to move.   Hence my suggestion you see if the release arm still had movement in it.  Although I accept that if the release bearing has jammed somehow that the release arm would still have movement.   Just making sure you eliminate the 'simple' answers before you make the big step of dropping the gearbox.

Also, you should be aware that I don't know anyone who has managed to release the gearbox without dropping the engine as well.  I suspect that after removing the prop shaft and the bolts holding the gearbox to the mounting plate you won't be able to move the gearbox back far enough to get it out.   I await your attempt with great interest, as if it works that makes life much simpler 😀

As to the rattle, we still don't really know what is causing it.   If I was doing it I would try and get hold of a proper MT75 release arm and bearing.   Again, I have no idea why Richard didn't use the official one.  Maybe when he bought the gearboxes they didn't come with a release arm of release bearing so he decided to save money by making his own bearing and fitting any release arm he could find.   Or maybe the proper release arm was too long to align the cable with the hole that was drilled in the mounting plate.    We are in undiscovered territory here 😀

In an ideal world it would be nice to run the engine while it is out, to test if the rattle has been fixed, as it would be annoying to have to drop the engine/gearbox again to try a different attempt.  Not sure how you do that, maybe just connect the sensors up without using any of the engine mounts when the body is first dropped down.

I’m afraid I don’t know, I am just passing on information I was given by Chris. However the clutch plate and release bearing are not connected in any way so I don’t see why not.  I’ll ask him why he went with separate items.

OK, it seems Chris simply handed in the original clutch plate and pressure plate and that is what he was given in return.   So there is no explanation as to why a different clutch plate was used.    Sorry, not much help.

I haven't heard of any Superspec not fitted with the MT75 (LHD Granada model).   Was the gearbox actually different or was it the release arm ?   And I don't think the turbo aspect makes it any different.

Well good and bad news. So bad news first. My clutch was smashed to pieces and looked like it had exploded.

Good news is it can be fixed and the mechanic seems sure he can sort the rattle. He said with the mt75 needle roller it's too small for the gap in the brass bushing, however with some epoxy or metal putty he can place the needle roller in secure it with that in the bushing and this should stop the rattle. 

He did note its not advisable but its the best solution in a bad fitting hole.  He did mention that if the resin fails then it will most likely rattle still and go to the back of the bushing causing no damage so its worth a punt

Wow, I wonder what caused that.   Was it just the clutch plate, or the pressure plate, or both ?  Good news that a new clutch should fix it.  

I don't fully understand his comment about the MT75 needle roller, I have never seen anything like that on an MT75 and it doesn't match up with anything else that has been reported.   Maybe he is talking about the bearing that was originally fitted to the gearbox input shaft to match the hole in the output shaft of the Granada engine.   We know that didn't fit the Rover engine, which is why RHE machined the phosphor bronze (I think) bush as a replacement.   But even though we know the tolerances were a bit iffy I don't understand why a slightly loose fit of the gearbox input shaft into a phosphor bronze bush would create a metallic rattle.   I would have thought it would just wear away the bush.   But I am prepared to eat my words if his fix works. 😀

Is he using the old home made release bearing or a proper new MT75 one?  And could you ask him if the release bearing should actually be clipped into the release arm ? 

Fascinating stuff, keep the information coming, it's incredibly useful for other Superspec owners.