Tracking/Wheel Alignment 2B Plus

CAskew

Any advice would be welcomed on getting front wheel Aligment carried out with glued on GBS mudguards as there is not enough clearance to fit 'Hang on' type eqipment.

Advised there is an alternative system that fits onto the wheel, however, it requires a lot of details I dont have. Recommendations would be much appreciated.

GBS have told me 1.5 degrees negative camber

Tracking parrel but if it feels as if it wonders add a little toe in

and 18-22 PSI in the tyres.

Front Wheel & Mudguard .jpg

Tracking Details.jpg

If you want to keep it simple and cheap simply set up two bars of equal length on axle stands front and rear and string them with fishing line pulled tight at the hub centre height, centre them by measuring to the hub centres and measure to the front and rear of the wheel rim to determine the toe, doing it this way means the rear toe can be checked at the same time, hope this doesn't sound to complex it really is simple once you have done it.

16 hours ago, richyb66 said:

http://www.trackace.co.uk/

I have one of these, takes a bit of setting up but works well.

Looks good, but I did note this on one of the sites:

Please note: Trackace requires a minimum of 100mm under vehicle ground clearance so for low vehicles it may be necessary to raise the vehicle by placing suitable blocks under the wheels.

Is that a problem ?

48 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Someone used that Trackace on my car in a pub car park - worked a treat! Not sure why it would need underfloor clearance - I don't recall any part going below the car? 

The laser needs line of sight across the car. It's not a problem on kits normally bit I have had problems on modern cars with aero aids on the bottom of the bumper in front of the wheels. This would presumably be a problem using Dunlop type tracking gauges as well.

• Like 2

Thanks chaps some very useful and informative advice, videos and equipment options.

Not sure how to adjust camber or whether my original RH steering has adjuster or do we have to take off the track rod ends.

Looks like the Trackace is favourite, especially as demon Tweeks (Wrexham) have them in stock.

Much apprecited.

Chris.

Just bought Trackace and surprised it was bit more fiddley than video suggested and took more adjustments to get it set up.

Eventuall got it to read and after making 3 equal adjustments to track rod got it spot on. Even the exposed thread lengths of 3.0cm  and 30.2cm seem to be within tollerance.

Even drives straight ans steering wheel now central.

Thanks everyone for the brilliant advice

Chris

44 minutes ago, CAskew said:

Just bought Trackace and surprised it was bit more fiddley than video suggested and took more adjustments to get it set up.

Glad it wasn't just me that struggle first time. It does get easier with practice. Maybe you should offer to check / adjust members cars in your area for a small fee?

Something I would be willing to pay for, local firms have all singing and dancing laser digital units that need vehicle make and model. Kwik fit wanted £75 and was going to use a caterham setting because it was in the system.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 4:35 PM, richyb66 said:

http://www.trackace.co.uk/

I have one of these, takes a bit of setting up but works well.

Received mine now.   First attempt took a fair time, but now I have used it half a dozen times it has become very easy and I do the check in just a couple of minutes.  Love it 😀

The first reading I got was 20' toe out, and then after moving the car so the wheel turned 180º I got a reading of 10' toe in.   So the average was 5' toe out.   I did wonder about tweaking it to give a small toe-in, but I couldn't shift the lock nuts on the track arm.   Are they opposite threads, or they both normal right hand threads?

It does give me a slight problem, I have suffered from excessive wear on the outside of both tyres and had assumed it was the tracking so could easily fix it.  Having got those readings it obviously isn't the source of the problem.   So googling it tells me the cause is more likely to be wrong camber.  So my latest theory is that winding up the front suspension springs to give me more ground clearance under the sump (Superspec owners will now this is a big problem on the car) has caused the wheels to tilt outwards at the top, putting pressure on the outside of the tread and causing the wear ?

Anyone any thoughts on that ?