Starter motor solenoid

nelmo

I'm having some starting problems and cleverer people than me told me it is a sticking starter motor solenoid and I should be able to strip and clean it up. 

However, I've taken it off today and I cannot see how to get the solenoid apart. It is a RTX model and I have removed the one screw that seems to be involved but I cannot get the body off, even with a mallet. 

Pics in this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/z9ymMNQqWdDvkz469

Any ideas or is this a sealed unit and all I can do is get a new motor? 

You'd think there'd be a screw there but no... 

What are my chances of improving the solenoid? The whole thing is only 2 years old - what could have caused it to get sticky in the first place and is there anything I will be able to do to prevent it happening again in 6 months time? 

Can't believe it's only got one screw holding it on. Have you given it a few taps with a small hammer in case it's just stuck on?

No much you can do even if it is apart other than a clean with brake cleaner of the moving bits and a buff up with emery of the main contacts.

Did you fit thicker wire for the pulling wire on the solenoid? The wire gauge looked ok at the solenoid end but weedy at the connector under the dash.

Yeah, gave it a few whacks with the rubber mallet - no joy. 

An online video showed one guy de-soldering the main pins to get the other end off but even he had other screws to undo. 

I guess it's the heat that has caused the problem? Although the motor is down the bottom of the engine, a decent distance from the exhaust manifold and in a bit of airflow coming under the car. Might try some sort of heatshield/wrap for the next one.... 

Any recommendations for a starter motor? 

Is it possible to remove the main motor from the housing and see if there is a bolt or fixture that is hidden, i.e. goes into the solenoid from within the housing. I guess if there is then a special spanner might be needed ...just a thought.