DOHC EFI TO ZETEC CONVERSION

Hi all

my 2.0 dohc EFI is buggered, sounds like a bag of spanner’s and using a load of oil, I’ve just purchased a 2.0 zetec wiring harness Ford ecu, and GXSR 750 TB’s, all come together off ebay, how hard of a conversion will it be, only have basic skills to be honest, also what aftermarket ECU is best to run engine with Tbs, all advice welcome

Edited by shaun_tomo88

Zetec on bike carbs would save you a world of pain and probably cheaper. There's no best ECU, you basically get what you pay for. Microsquirt is cheaper but problematic from my experience, Emerald or Omex more expensive but in my opinion better overall.

Depends on your definition of 'basic skills' and how big your wallet is. Bottom line - no engine change is easy, especially when you're changing the engine type like you are.

The most common ECU we use is Emerald but it 'aint cheap - around £750. There are others but fairly similar price, I think. Very rare to see them come up 2nd hand...

When you say a wiring harness, is that just for the engine and the standard harness? I literally removed everything from that and just used the existing injectors wiring, along with the long, thin black case (see my blog for details: https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.com/2016/02/inching-on.html ).

I'm not familiar with the EFi engine - is the exhaust on the same side? You will probably have to re-do the engine mounts.

What gearbox do you have? For Zetec, need a type 9 or MT75 - anything else will require some extra customisation, if it is possible.

Probably lots of other stuff - good luck!

35 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Depends on your definition of 'basic skills' and how big your wallet is. Bottom line - no engine change is easy, especially when you're changing the engine type like you are.

The most common ECU we use is Emerald but it 'aint cheap - around £750. There are others but fairly similar price, I think. Very rare to see them come up 2nd hand...

When you say a wiring harness, is that just for the engine and the standard harness? I literally removed everything from that and just used the existing injectors wiring, along with the long, thin black case (see my blog for details: https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.com/2016/02/inching-on.html ).

I'm not familiar with the EFi engine - is the exhaust on the same side? You will probably have to re-do the engine mounts.

What gearbox do you have? For Zetec, need a type 9 or MT75 - anything else will require some extra customisation, if it is possible.

Probably lots of other stuff - good luck!

I have a MT75 gearbox….. the zetec blacktop engine I purchased was out of a automatic Mondeo so no flywheel or clutch, thanks for the link I’ll have a good look at your blog, I’m only £360 into a budget of 2.5k, I feel I got a bargain with the engine and throttle bodies plus loads of bits 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, richyb66 said:

Zetec on bike carbs would save you a world of pain and probably cheaper. There's no best ECU, you basically get what you pay for. Microsquirt is cheaper but problematic from my experience, Emerald or Omex more expensive but in my opinion better overall.

I know there not cheap, I really don’t want something that’s going to be problematic, want it as straight forward as possible 

• 2 weeks later...