Pinto 2.0 EFi rough idle when cold

peter_m7uk

Just to finish the story on this one.  I tried the new idle control valve, but it didn't help.  I eventually discovered that, in the process of checking everything, I'd bent pins in the air mass flow meter socket, so the air meter was basically disconnected!  Once I straightened the pins up, the engine would idle but again the speed was too high (1500rpm).  As my original problem was a "rough idle", I then fitted new spark plugs, ignition leads and coil.  This made the fast idle smoother but still too fast!   I then was busy for ages and didn't drive the car much or spend much time on it.  Eventually, I came back and did basic checks, including various fasteners around the engine - One thing I tried was tightening up the inlet manifold nuts and bolts and that was the cure!!   There was almost certainly an air leak - None of the manifold nuts or bolts were really loose, but over time maybe the gasket crushed a bit and they needed further tightening.  Combined with the new service items I'd fitted, I now have the expected higher idle speed when cold and a nice smooth idle between 800 and 900 rpm when hot, problem solved 👍

Edited by peter_m7uk