Chassis VIN

Random

I am building a 2b and need to get a VIN to add to the chassis. At what point in the process can this be obtained and how do I apply for this? I have been looking on the DVLA website and there does not seem to be any information regarding this. I am sure it is needed before the IVA test

Not only can you just ask for it at any time (email the DVLA), you can also make up your own VIN. I wish I had known that, could have made something more interesting. 

BTW, this and many other questions have been asked many times before - worth doing a search before asking just to save you the 8 hour wait for an answer. 🙂

Edited by nelmo

Searches are ok, but information goes out of date. 

In terms of email all I can find is: 

"DVLA does not publish any emails for the public, with one exception - eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk for DVLA Driver Medical Enquiries." 

@nelmo do you have an email address that I can use to contact them? 

I can not imagine they would let you make one up as like number plates there is bound to be a strict standard and a high degree of uniqueness. 

"a strict standard and a high degree of uniqueness."

There is. It must be 17 characters, random numbers and letters, no special characters.

All manufacturers issue their own, GBS could have issued you with anything that fits that rule.  Avoid DVLA bureaucracy at all costs, esp. snail mail.

Many of us have chosen our own VINs that mean something to us. Mine includes initials, postcode, and the RHE invoice number.

Not much chance of anyone duplicating that, but the DVLA check it for uniqueness when you submit it anyway. 

As to uniqueness, I did some maths the last time this topic came up:

"You can just specify anything you want - to bore you with maths, there are 34^17 (assuming no letters I and O) possible combinations of numbers, which is about 100 million, million, million, million (1 followed by 26 zeroes)! That means every person on the planet could have 15,000 million million unique VIN numbers each 😮

So not much chance of getting a duplicate 😉 "

https://www.rhocar.org/index.php?/forums/topic/49660-documentation-and-vin-plates/&do=findComment&comment=405489

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

So it turns out that the process at the time of writing is unpublished on the website and requires an email to be sent. You cannot make up your own any more as the first part of the number relates to the issuing agency. 

Email your name, address, details of your build, and request a VIN number to dvlavin@dvla.gov.uk and in a few weeks the forms turn up in the post. This form has a place for a garage to stamp to verify that number has been put on the chassis correctly, and this is used later in the process of the SVA test.

Edited by Random

• 6 months later...
On 10/15/2021 at 8:04 PM, Random said:

So it turns out that the process at the time of writing is unpublished on the website and requires an email to be sent. You cannot make up your own any more as the first part of the number relates to the issuing agency. 

Email your name, address, details of your build, and request a VIN number to dvlavin@dvla.gov.uk and in a few weeks the forms turn up in the post. This form has a place for a garage to stamp to verify that number has been put on the chassis correctly, and this is used later in the process of the SVA test.

Hi,

Sorry to bring up a old thread ,

I am looking at applying for a VIN number myself from the DVLA. What kind of details did you need to give them on your build when you emailed them?

Thanks.

Edited by RH2BJS

Oh, thanks for that.

Did you just use the email address in this thread?  dvlavin@dvla.gov.uk

Thanks.

1 hour ago, nelmo said:

I don't think you need any details - I just emailed them to ask what the process was and the next thing I know, they've sent me a VIN number!! I didn't even ask for it...

• 3 months later...

VIN or Chassis Number

The VIN or Chassis Number can be found on the dashboard, driver's side door and on the registration certificate. All cars and light commercial vehicles built after 1981 have a unique 17-character VIN that provides access to valuable information about that vehicle's history.

VIN or Chassis Number

What is a VIN?

VIN is short for "Vehicle Identification Number". All vehicles are assigned a VIN when they are manufactured. They are used to uniquely identify all vehicles. VIN's are recorded in accidents, insurance records, and when work is done on a vehicle by a body shop, dealership or mechanic.

Vehicles from 1981 to present have 17 character VIN's. Before 1981 the VIN may be shorter. VIN's do not use the letter "I" or "O". These characters are numbers "1" and "0" 1969 and newer vehicles should have VIN on the driver dash.

I made my own one up but it seems that option is no longer valid. I got hold of a blank Robin Hood VIN plate, stamped it and riveted it to the engine bulkhead. I stamped the chassis in several places that are hidden under trim or in hard to get at places so if the car was stolen it would still be possible to identify it even if the obvious VIN stamping were cut out.