unbuilt exmo kit plus donor car advice

limpbrisket

Hello,

A relative has asked that I arrange the sale of her late husbands kit car, however it is more advice that I am looking for at this stage.

kit is a RH EXMO kit purchased in 1996 and stored in a garage since then, she also has a sierra he purchased 10 years ago covered on the driveway.

kit is in good condition and all accounted for from what I can see, sierra hasn't ran for a few years but did run fine I'm told.

what should I do with it? is there any value in this model? should I become a rh member and list it all here? or should I sell it in parts on autotrader/gumtree/ebay? sell seirra as is or strip and scrap? no idea what route would be best here.

I am an engineer so stripping the sierra isn't an issue. Building the RH would be fantastic but I barely have time for my own projects as it is.

I'm going over next week to check sierra spec/condition/milage and get pics of everything to facilitate selling.

Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Unbuilt kits are difficult to sell, people seem to be put off buy the work needed and the £500ish cost of the IVA test to get on the road. Realistically the kit plus the donor car is worth maybe £2k max to someone who is willing to take it on.

Sadly, it's probably worth more in parts. A decent Sierra could be worth that much on its own and individual parts of the kit will have some value to them. Personally I'd rather see unbuilt kits finished and on the road so I'd always try selling as a complete package first.

That makes sense, I didnt realise the cost of the IVA was so high.

The family would rather it got built and was used as it had been intended that would be the best outcome. Sadly it has sat in her garage/driveway for too long now and is now just a sad reminder and she wants it moved on. I'll try selling as a full kit with donor car / full kit on its own otherwise I will have to sell it in parts then.

Thanks for the info.

I'm kind of with Rich on this one, and if you'll excuse me being brutally honest... I only say this as an ex-Exmo owner... but I can't see the Exmo being a very desirable project these days. The Sierra will probably shift easy. I'd put the chassis/kit up on an auction site and just see what it goes for, otherwise just go and weigh it in at the local scrappy. You might get some interest in the Exmo parts as spares on here - wings will probably sell to an existing owner for example.

The more I've been reading up on these the more I'm seeing the exmo not being the one to go for. I'll try listing the whole lot and see how interest goes 'buy it now' if I fail to get a buyer ill start listing items separate.

Thanks again, good to get opinions on this stuff.

I just have to comment to add agreement with what the others are saying. As an Exmo builder and owner I would say that only a masocist would try to put one together today and get it through approval. There are parts of the kit that would be saleable, GRP, front shocks and springs, and there might be a reconditioned steering rack, and even a windscreen could be wanted. However you might end up just disposing of the bodyshell. If it's a stainless shell you might find an Exmo owner with a zinc plated steel shell that wants to swap over as a project. Not sure if that would be legal ?  The donor Sierra could be worth something, I read "Practical Classics" magazine, they have cars of that age in their free ads pages ... who know?  Whatever, I wish you luck, it can't be easy given the circumstance of the disposal.

Good point - swapping a chassis like-for-like is not so much a problem so the chassis would be useful to an existing owner who maybe had a catastrophic failure and needed to fix it, but... the reality, to me, would be wondering if anyone is really that much in love with their Exmo that they'd rebuild it like-for-like rather than just doing what I did and swap it into a newer chassis like the Zero or 2B.

Sparepart's also right, there are a few parts on the Exmo that people will definitely be interested in for maintaining their current model... front dampers/inserts being a common one that's hard to get hold of, screen supports rust, bracketry and suspension mounting plates, etc.

What Sierra is it? Key bits that will shift off it IMHO are :

- Front & Rear hub assemblies (inc brakes)
- Rear diff & shafts
- Steering column, stalks, plastic cowling
- Engine (depending on type)
- Gearbox

The rest you can probably weigh in, unless there is some person out there looking for a Sierra to fix their aging Sierra :)

Hoping to get over this week to get the pics and specs on the sierra, ill post back when I find out.

while its not great on the RH model front it does seem like most will shift if I cant find one person to grab the lot at a cut down price. other than that fingers crossed for aging sierra guy!

• 1 month later...

finally got round to checking out the car and getting it on gumtree:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ford/robin-hood-kit-car-and-sierra-glx-donor/1421816682

As predicted interest in the sierra is high. quite a few wanting it as a full restoration project. ill hold off till the end of the week and sell seperate if no offers come in for the kit and sierra.

I think that you will find that the engine in the Sierra is a CVH (1.8?), anyway it's not a Pinto. I think that the EXMO is designed around a Pinto so the CVH would most likely not be of much use to the kit builder. It was nice to see the photos of the EXMO bits, they bring back memories.

I wondered this. He must have known, I have a feeling this is why he never started the build, the sierra was sourced by another and dropped off for him almost as a favour. knowing him I think he was too polite to say it was the wrong one.

That settles the sell together/seperate dilemma

establishing sierra price is proving tricky, eBay may be best here let them bid it out and find its value. a lot of interest on gumtree but no offers yet.

If you do sell seperately, then it would be a lot of work, but it could be worth itemising the parts of the kit that you have, at least the major bits. As mentioned prev in this thread some parts (if you have them) will be of interest to owners of other RH kits as well as Exmo owners. For example I believe the rear GRP wings are the same as as a series 7, you might have the branched exhaust manifold, the Cortina radiator, was a seperate steering rack bought, just the nut and bolt pack (looks well preserved) those copper brake pipes, the windscreen and frame, etc.. Simple thing like the nosecone badge.  Lots of work though, but a pity just to throw away. I have a parts list with optional parts that was used on an Exmo order that I can post if it helps you look for/identify what is available.

Edited by Sparepart
add

Thanks, it is an option to seperate and list. but absolutely will be a lot of work. I have an eBay business I run at present so listing, logistics and all things eBay are well covered. 

I think I have the same list in the paper work, thanks.

if no offers come in for the full kit I'll look at listing seperate, I will post up in here in the for sale forum before hand.

The sierra has to go and will sell seperate by the looks of it. As all interest so far has been for it and not the kit, plus as it is not a pinto the engine wouldn't be much use to an exmo builder.

you can PM me here on the forum or send a message on gumtree using the link above to discus the sierra. ta