Diff/Drive Shaft Removal

Chris Scott

Afternoon Everyone,

I feel like I’ve had a good day on the car today, fuel tank out, roll bar is off and most of old loom discarded, however…

The Sierra diff on my 3A is leaking, from both the nose and one drive shaft. The question I have is how do I remove it? 

I can see the bolts that’s hold the diff
in, but how do I remove the drive shafts? Is it a case of undoing the hub nut and sliding it out? 

Bearing in mind nothing seems to have been touched for 10 years am I about to enter a world of pain?

Cheers 

Chris 

EED85C79-F571-4675-A946-9F9A50348803.jpeg

Remove the brake shoes and you can unbolt the 4 hub carrier bolts through holes in the hub. You should then be able to withdraw the whole shaft through the brake backplate. The shaft is held in to the diff with a wire clip in a groove. You'll probably need to lever the shaft at the diff end to get it to pop out.

9 minutes ago, richyb66 said:

Remove the brake shoes and you can unbolt the 4 hub carrier bolts through holes in the hub. You should then be able to withdraw the whole shaft through the brake backplate. The shaft is held in to the diff with a wire clip in a groove. You'll probably need to lever the shaft at the diff end to get it to pop out.

Awesome - that could save a lot of headaches! Thank you 

Could be a job for tomorrow 😬

Chris, it looks like you could do with a look at the Sierra Service and Repair manual which covers changing the diff oil seals. When you get to the pinion seal you will need a good spanner and lots of leverage to loosen the nut (at least that what I found), anyway here is a link (just tested) to a site that has a pdf of the manual and also one for the type 9 gearbox, I would download and save it now in case it dissapears.

https://musse67.mbnet.fi/Taunus/Korjausoppaat/

10 hours ago, Sparepart said:

Chris, it looks like you could do with a look at the Sierra Service and Repair manual which covers changing the diff oil seals. When you get to the pinion seal you will need a good spanner and lots of leverage to loosen the nut (at least that what I found), anyway here is a link (just tested) to a site that has a pdf of the manual and also one for the type 9 gearbox, I would download and save it now in case it dissapears.

https://musse67.mbnet.fi/Taunus/Korjausoppaat/

Unbelievably helpful, thank you so much! Will try and use work printer tomorrow to make a hard copy.

Your driveshafts look to have the boots with an integral metal can which is crimped around the whole joint. These are no longer available.

You'll need to cut just the old rubber off then use a universal type boot instead (ideally the stretchy type that will fit without dismantling the joint. 

Have a read of this thread and it should make more sense:

Like Richyb66 says the manual says to cut open the driveshaft joint cover and peel it back with pliers, Figure 7.6. DONT DO THIS because you cant get replacement covers. I have fitted the stretchy boots that use a strong plastic cone to open them up enough to slip over the joint cover, I have some photos of this somewhere if youd like to see them. As instructed, I used lots of washing up liquid to lubricate the process, and at first I couldn't believe that the boot would stretch enough to slide down the cone and snap back around the shaft on the other side of the joint, it looked impossible, but with a lot of effort and a few swear words it worked. Care is needed to end up with the boots on the right way around. I seem to remember that one of the pair needs to be turned inside out to get it on the cone in such a way that it snaps over and turns the right way round after. I sat there for a while rehearsing the process for each boot before doing it for real, because I couldn't see any way apart from cutting to get the boots off once fitted.

5 hours ago, Sparepart said:

Like Richyb66 says the manual says to cut open the driveshaft joint cover and peel it back with pliers, Figure 7.6. DONT DO THIS because you cant get replacement covers. I have fitted the stretchy boots that use a strong plastic cone to open them up enough to slip over the joint cover, I have some photos of this somewhere if youd like to see them. As instructed, I used lots of washing up liquid to lubricate the process, and at first I couldn't believe that the boot would stretch enough to slide down the cone and snap back around the shaft on the other side of the joint, it looked impossible, but with a lot of effort and a few swear words it worked. Care is needed to end up with the boots on the right way around. I seem to remember that one of the pair needs to be turned inside out to get it on the cone in such a way that it snaps over and turns the right way round after. I sat there for a while rehearsing the process for each boot before doing it for real, because I couldn't see any way apart from cutting to get the boots off once fitted.

Brilliant advice, thanks - I’m popping to local factors tomorrow to see what options are available