Sierra S7 Rear Coilovers

Pintogogo

Im looking to replace the std sierra coil springs and dampers with coilovers fitted between the damper bolt on the radius arm and I will fabricate a bracket for the rear inner wheel arch, what make of coilovers, size (open and closed) and spring weighting have people used and where is best place to buy them from? any info on fitting also is much appreciated

Regards

Harry

Dont use the U shaped bracket at the back of the swinging arm. 2 reasons. 1 it was only designed to take the load from a shocker being compressed, not the weight of the rear of the car. 2. the coilovers are designed to be used in the same location as the spring, ie  in the circular recess in the swinging arm. Otherwise there is more leverage from the shocker bracket meaning spring rates and shocker settings will be wrong. You just need a U shaped bracket bolted in the centre of the recess. HTH.

I beg to differ.

I use the shock bracket with lower rare springs, I do not remember the rate. Adjustable dampers can be set to what you like.

But the hole needs drilling out to 0.5inch if i recall correctly.

It has worked fine for me for over 20 years.

• Like 1

I'm rebuilding using the same old springs, but have made brackets so that the long Sierra shocks at 45 degrees are replaced by much shorter vertical classic mini rear shocks. I think others have done this. There are loads of adjustable shocks for the rear of a classic mini, standard non adjustable are dead cheap, in keeping with the Exmo ethos.

The original option of rear coil over shocks were actually modified  mini rear shocks.

When used like this the rubber bushes were not up to the job and disintegrated fairly fast.

When used as shocks without the springs they should be good.

The shocks I bought were Protech S400 SA-1.9 Single adjustable bonded bush 1.9 inch inside diam  Open length13.5 in. M27 stem top, and 25mmx1/2 bottom eye, when fitted the distance between the mounting is 13.5 inch Springs I bought elsewhere and are1.9 ID 7 inch long and150lb  I use the original lower shocker mounting with no problems but the mounting on the body needs to be strong and the load well spread.

• Thanks 1

Hi Alan

I'm after a set up like yours and Ill try to find the shocks, Dave from dampertec replied to my message and has asked me to call tomorrow and he will also try to give me a price on shocks n springs, just worried about going to 150lb springs as some messages Ive had are saying 500lb which seems excessive

Regards

Harry

When you do this, I would think that there is the opportunity to modify the rear ride height, either accidentally or by design. Others will know if this then will have a good/bad knock on effect of altering the camber of the rear wheels?. You have probably considered this already, however I thought I would mention it just in case. 🙂

Edited by Sparepart
Spelling corruction
  • Thanks 1