Robin Hood 2b buying advices and year of construction

ftwo

Hello!

This is Jonas. Im from Germany and searching for a Super Seven here. Recently I visited a Robin Hood 2B from 1987 with 2l OHC, but I have some questions you maybe could help me with, regarding this car:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/lotus-super-seven-robin-hood-replika/1933288685

I know prices in Germany are higher but you rarely find cars <15k here. It says it is built in 1987, but the suspension type it looks newer to me (more like Sub-K-type)? Are there some  advices where to specially look at or weak points of this seven type? 

Thanks for you help, 

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

This looks like a Sub K to me, if so the kit would have been sold in 2001 or later, but the Sierra donor car may well have been a 1987 model.

The quality of these cars is really dependant on how well they were built.  You need to check the quality of the workmanship and make sure that the kit was built well, particularly things like brakes, steering and suspension.

I don't know a great deal about the Sub K but I'm sure other people on here will be able to tell you of any weak areas on these models.

Best regards,  Steve

Thanks Steve for your answer! So I should be right, that the seven itself is younger and not built in 1987. Problem in Germany is that registration for an historic car is only possible for the year of construction of the (kit)car - which must be >30yrs - not the donor. This one is registrated as an Oldtimer. Are the suspension types interchangeable between the different generations?

The car itself seems built well for me as a seven newbie, but this would be a major downside, maybe worth not buying it.

Edited by ftwo

Yes, as far as I know, Robin Hood started selling the Sub K kit in 2001 - assuming that this car is a Sub K then it must have been built in 2001 or later.

Just to make things more confusing - the Sub K became known as the 2B/04 from 2004  - the seller describes the car as a 2B so, it might be a 2B/04 from 2004 or later.

From what you are saying about registration in Germany I think you would need to get some confirmation of when it was actually built.

The suspension is not a straight swap between generations. but anything is possible with them.  The cost and the work involved would probably make it impractical to do any major changes unless you wanted something to keep you busy over winter !

Hope this helps,  Steve

Yes that link was how I found out. But I think I am too afraid of problems regarding registration of this seven. 

I found another one, a Locust from 1980 with 1300ccm Kent engine which is easier made and more... lowcost... although I like the other one, I maybe should go with this one.