ETB speedo with mag sensor

apgodden

I made a bracket which sat the sensor on top of the prop shaft flange to diff and calibrated it on the speedo if I remember. One thing I do remember is the instructions said two magnets in opposing positions on the prop which recorded double speed against my satnav so I removed one of the magnets, and with no further calibration (I might actually be wrong here) I had a speedo. I then fitted GBS’s p&p loom and the speedo stopped so I wired it directly between sensor power and the dial. Only fails when the magnet falls off so I used some Jb weld and voilà hasn’t fallen off in 500 miles. 

• Thanks 1

Mine reads off the propshaft bolts, more reliable than magnets as they won't fall off. My prop is flanged both ends so the sensor is at the front end mounted to the back of the gearbox.

Two important things. First make sure the gap between the sensor and the bolt heads is the same for each bolt. Second make the bracket really really rigid so the gap can't change. If it does, the speedo will be all over the place.

The ETB sensor has an led in the back of it where the wires go in. When it's powered up, the led will light when it detects a bolt head or magnet passing it so you can adjust the gap to get a good reading off each trigger in turn.

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2021 at 10:18 PM, richyb66 said:

The ETB sensor has an led in the back of it where the wires go in. When it's powered up, the led will light when it detects a bolt head or magnet passing it so you can adjust the gap to get a good reading off each trigger in turn.

I didn't know that - nice one Richy, guess what I'll be doing next time the magnet falls off...