Thinking of buying a kit car? Read this first.

richyb66

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose one slightly justifying argument for buying a 'ringer' would be if you were going to strip it of it's identity to turn it into a race car, or some sort of track car where the rules didn't require it to be road legal. That doesn't necessarily negate the arguments about it being built shoddily, or illegally from stolen parts/etc, but is one path that might make sense to someone looking to have a track-day toy that's trailered to events. A rather niche case though, I think. Great write-up.

• 2 months later...

Hi, after reading the above advice re dates of registration, I noticed on my RH 2B V5 that the date of first reg and date of first reg in the UK were the same i.e. the date passed IVA 01/07/2010, so I chatted on line with DVLA and they suggested I sent the V5 in, so I duly sent the V5 to DVLA with a covering letter and form V888 only to receive it back 3 months later with a covering letter stating they do not take into account the donor car dates classing the kit car as a new entity with the dates from the IVA test. Please see the attached letter if you need to. Thought I would forward this as an update to what is mentioned above, Darrell

DVLA letter 060422.jpg

I am thinking (always risky), my car is "C" reg (1985), however just like for IVA, the V5C shows date of first reg as January 2000 (SVA date). I wonder if I can now purchase a personalised number for any year up to 2000 (that would be a V reg car) .... it would give me more choice of numbers ... I'm assuming that when a different reg is put on a car they only check that you are not trying to put on a plate thats for a year newer than the date of first reg?

13 hours ago, richyb66 said:

Interesting. What registration year did the the car get when first registered after IVA, age related to the donor?

It was given an age related plate relevant to the original donor (F reg) I put the personalised plate on when I bought it last year

23 hours ago, Sparepart said:

I am thinking (always risky), my car is "C" reg (1985), however just like for IVA, the V5C shows date of first reg as January 2000 (SVA date). I wonder if I can now purchase a personalised number for any year up to 2000 (that would be a V reg car) .... it would give me more choice of numbers ... I'm assuming that when a different reg is put on a car they only check that you are not trying to put on a plate thats for a year newer than the date of first reg?

My thoughts exactly and I thought this is something DVLA would want to avoid.