Glove box

nelmo

Has anyone made a glove box?

I have the standard GBS fibreglass dash and I'd like to use the space on the left for a small glove box. I'm imagining that I cut out a piece of the GRP and then fit some sort of hinge at the bottom, lock/latch at the top and the main body maybe just fabric-covered card or something?

The trickiest bit I can imagine is how to attach the hinge and lock onto GRP - is there a standard technique for bonding metal to GRP?

Any ideas/suggestions greatly received.

So continuing on with this, anyone know of a push-to-open/close latch that will work on 2 butted panels, like this:

lock.PNG.ac420add0a526376441bc664d55f1afe.PNG

I don't want a handle on the outside or a lock, just something you push down on to open and close. I don't know if something like this exists (I'd be amazed if not) so I don't know what to search for. I've tried just scrolling through hundreds of different latches but nothing like this yet.

13 hours ago, richyb66 said:

Oooh, now that's quite a good idea, if not cheating 😉. Also not sure I have the depth behind the dash to fit that in.

I was thinking about a cup holder but then I realised that with a kit, I can't imagine any drink staying in the cup for more than 30 seconds - they're not exactly a floating carpet-style ride (well, not mine, certainly) 🙃. I guess if you had a sealed cup but they tend to be quite large - I've got a couple which wouldn't fit into that size.

Back to the drawing board...

The problem with all those latches is that they work with panels at 90deg to each other - my panels are 180deg to each other (as per my sketch above).

I have a caravan but my doors all either have a handle/button or have a perpendicular surface but I'll check that, thanks 👍

• 3 weeks later...

make a metal plate that matches the screw holes in the hinge, then use some adhesive like "sticks like *bleep*" between the plate and the bumpy inside face of the GRP, and then fix hinge with machine screws and nuts, whilst the adhisive is still uncured

Edited by clive pritchard
spelling error

Best idea we had for the glove box was to use an industrial "hoover" cloth bag on the inside , the rim fixed to the back inside of the door ; it's like the Tardis in there but please use Mini wiper gear. 

Yup, that's pretty much what I've decided to do except the latch will go on a bracket attached to the dash piece, rather than the 'box'. This is because the 'box' is going to have to be fairly flexible because I need to get to the fuse box which will be behind it. 

If that makes any sense? 😃