Loom Connectors - Advice Required

Chris Scott

Well, after a long journey I’m finally at the point where I need to install my new loom…and I’m terrified 😂

The good news is it’s a brand new Autosparks loom with simple to follow instructions - the bad news is electrics frighten me! I’ve just no experience!

So the first silly question, what are the best connectors, I want simple but reliable. From what I can tell a lot of the engine bay will be eyelet, bullet and spade connectors - is it best to crimp these or solder? Any sets/kits of connectors people recommend?

Thanks, Chris 

I've tried numerous different methods. I started crimping because my soldering skills are rubbish but it turned out my crimping skills were just as bad and I had numerous problems. 

I started soldering instead, which was sometimes OK but I still had issues because I was just so bad at it, making big, lumpy connections. 

I then realised that I had being using my crimp tool incorrectly so I went back to crimping BUT I also soldered as well. I bought a kit full of these types of connectors:

crimp.jpg.1e31ca79927b729e33190d1cb68de903.jpg

So crimp in 2 places, once on the insulation, then on the bare end and then a blob of solder (I'm good at them) where the bare wire is visible. 

If you want larger plugs, I strongly recommend these DT plugs - work really well and very secure. 

• Like 1

Remember that when soldering you will need strain relief beyond the end of the solder.

If the wire to a soldered joint is allowed to vibrate then there is a stress concentration at the end of the solder leading to early failure.

I worked in the aircraft industry and crimping was the prefered way to do connectors but we used calibrated crimp tools.

DT plugs are good but need the correct crimp tool, if done correctly then soldering harms rather than helps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071KFLY43/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071KFLY43&pd_rd_w=dFwq1&pf_rd_p=a8d38b47-cfdf-4208-95a0-1af779cb6e7d&pd_rd_wg=6LINW&pf_rd_r=94H2BTJQYX4QYP6W4C2H&pd_rd_r=cc34204e-5f06-4ad0-9b35-1c0600516dac&s=automotive&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSUpRRFNQRkhSRTBZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjE5OTgwNUxZMk5MVlZMRFlDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NDIzMjIzMUlXUTM5V0tIOUszJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

is one reasonable crimp tool.

55 minutes ago, nelmo said:

I've tried numerous different methods. I started crimping because my soldering skills are rubbish but it turned out my crimping skills were just as bad and I had numerous problems. 

I started soldering instead, which was sometimes OK but I still had issues because I was just so bad at it, making big, lumpy connections. 

I then realised that I had being using my crimp tool incorrectly so I went back to crimping BUT I also soldered as well. I bought a kit full of these types of connectors:

So crimp in 2 places, once on the insulation, then on the bare end and then a blob of solder (I'm good at them) where the bare wire is visible. 

If you want larger plugs, I strongly recommend these DT plugs - work really well and very secure. 

Thank you for the insight, this is exactly my worry - I fear I’ll make a pigs ear of any method 😂 Will look into those connectors though as they look to be of a good quality/design

4 minutes ago, IanS said:

Remember that when soldering you will need strain relief beyond the end of the solder.

If the wire to a soldered joint is allowed to vibrate then there is a stress concentration at the end of the solder leading to early failure.

I worked in the aircraft industry and crimping was the prefered way to do connectors but we used calibrated crimp tools.

DT plugs are good but need the correct crimp tool, if done correctly then soldering harms rather than helps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071KFLY43/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071KFLY43&pd_rd_w=dFwq1&pf_rd_p=a8d38b47-cfdf-4208-95a0-1af779cb6e7d&pd_rd_wg=6LINW&pf_rd_r=94H2BTJQYX4QYP6W4C2H&pd_rd_r=cc34204e-5f06-4ad0-9b35-1c0600516dac&s=automotive&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSUpRRFNQRkhSRTBZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjE5OTgwNUxZMk5MVlZMRFlDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NDIzMjIzMUlXUTM5V0tIOUszJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

is one reasonable crimp tool.

Excellent, thank you. I’m wondering if it would be better to invest in a good crimper and quality plugs rather than a cheap soldering iron 👍🏼

59 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Do you happen to know the name of these type of connectors? as I think that’s exactly the way I’ll go. 

22 hours ago, Chris Scott said:

Do you happen to know the name of these type of connectors? as I think that’s exactly the way I’ll go. 

Not really got a name, but this is the kit I bought. 

Just to clarify, I'm not saying this is the best way to do this, just what I eventually settled on. I still have lots of plugs just using these connectors as well which are still working OK. 

21 hours ago, nelmo said:

Not really got a name, but this is the kit I bought. 

Just to clarify, I'm not saying this is the best way to do this, just what I eventually settled on. I still have lots of plugs just using these connectors as well which are still working OK. 

😂 that’s ok, I won’t hold it against you!

I do think those double crimps look to be the way to go, and given the other advice it’s the best (and easiest) method for me. 

Thanks again, Chris 

• Like 1