Filter advice

RickDaley

Hi All, hope you have had a good weekend either working on your hoods or out enjoying with the weather.

looking for some support on a filter for my hood that I’m restoring. I’m not sure which carb it is but looking for a pancake that I can fit either directly. I know over the year suppliers have gone but just looking to see if any supplier or website I can get to fit this carb.

current measurements are as followed. Hole to Hole on the our is 4inch.

inside diameter is approximately 90mm.

any support will be great 

61EFE461-BD85-4E3C-B5FF-173AE88FA3D9.jpeg

15 minutes ago, nelmo said:

I've only ever had FI but I was told those pancake filters are rubbish. They look nice and blingy for show cars but not good filters otherwise... no idea if that is true? 

Sorry nelmo but of a noobie what’s an FI ? 
what do you recommend something like a KN filter and re route? 

Really want to avoid cutting into my 2B bonnet hence why I was thinking of a pancake as not much room 

I dont have the same carb, however I bought a "Universal" pancake filter which was not very thick, it does not foul the bonnet. The drawback is that the surface area through which the air is drawn is limited, so the filter represents a hinderance to the ease with which air enters the manifold. This reduces the power of the engine. For this reason I am not totally happy with it, so am looking to reduce the restriction, by increasing the surface area of the filter,  perhaps obtaining a much larger diameter pancake or making a large bore pipe manifold to bolt on top of the carb to which I will connect a wide pipe to a conical air filter mounted forward of the engine where the air intake is cooler. I attach some snaps of the filter that I am going to replace to show the sort of thing that can be done, just as a start to get the car on the road.

Carb-Filter-01.jpg.36da1f4339a3f43c315335da57881218.jpgCarb-Filter-02.jpg.d219cc31b1b8ec911610206757044edd.jpgCarb-Filter-03.jpg.230d72c528eda17768cfc7bf150a39b2.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RickDaley said:

Sorry nelmo but of a noobie what’s an FI ? 
what do you recommend something like a KN filter and re route? 

Really want to avoid cutting into my 2B bonnet hence why I was thinking of a pancake as not much room 

FI = fuel injection 🙂 

So I've never had carbs and not sure if you can use a pancake filter with FI - definitely wouldn't fit my setup.

Sorry, I can't recommend anything better - I just heard they were a bit pants unless you're only interested in the looks.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:51 PM, nelmo said:

FI = fuel injection 🙂 

So I've never had carbs and not sure if you can use a pancake filter with FI - definitely wouldn't fit my setup.

Sorry, I can't recommend anything better - I just heard they were a bit pants unless you're only interested in the looks.

Thanks Nelmo, not going for the looks, might go down the route of custom intake and filter in the side vents.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:56 PM, Peter Bell said:

Pancake filters are pretty poor, you could look at pipercross px300 style.

Thanks Peter, had a quick look at them looks like it would fit on top however some websites don’t specify the innner and outer diameter, I’ve only manage to find demon tweeks that you can check the inlet size

The thing to remember about pancake filters is that on thin ones the restriction is the distance from the top of the carb to the top plate of the filter not the area of the foam filters.

Top plate on a filter like the one sparepart should be at least 1/3 carb inlet diameter above top lip of carb and idealy 1/2 diameter.

I agree, if the top plate is too low it could even block the carb. Years and years ago when I was a "boy racer" I took the filter off altogether and plonked a conical tube made from a yoghurt carton on the carb inlet, it made a great sucking noise on full throttle. just did not care about nasty thinks being drawn into the engine I guess. 🙂