Super Spec Seats

Mark Prescott

I have a Robin Hood Super Spec that is soon to be completed and the only item missing is the seats. The car has all new previously unused parts so the seats will also be new or as new condition. I have looked at Sparco R100. Has anybody else used these or is there a better option? I have about £750 to spend for a pair.

Hi Mark

I'm a great supporter of the original seats. most comfortable ones ever 😀

Anyway, welcome to another Superspec owner, not sure how I missed you on my recent trawl.  I am acting as first point of contact for all Superspec owners as I have had mine for almost 9 years and covered 25K miles so I think I know most of the details of the car now.   I am keeping a record of all the current owners and you make Number 38 now.  Not a bad strike rate as Richard Stewart guessed he sold 50 of them.  If you have the Rover T16 engine we have a huge bundle of useful information which I have bundled up at http://www.rmrsoft.com/Rover.zip  Well worth a download.  I've also written a software program that accesses the ECU to see how the engine is running.

Also, if you do have that engine, send me the engine number (Assuming you dont have a V5 yet, it's on the block under Number 4 exhaust).   I can tell you it's age, mod state and what car it was destined for.  Makes ordering spare much easier.

Cheers

Al

59 minutes ago, alanrichey said:

Hi Mark

I'm a great supporter of the original seats. most comfortable ones ever 😀

Anyway, welcome to another Superspec owner, not sure how I missed you on my recent trawl.  I am acting as first point of contact for all Superspec owners as I have had mine for almost 9 years and covered 25K miles so I think I know most of the details of the car now.   I am keeping a record of all the current owners and you make Number 38 now.  Not a bad strike rate as Richard Stewart guessed he sold 50 of them.  If you have the Rover T16 engine we have a huge bundle of useful information which I have bundled up at http://www.rmrsoft.com/Rover.zip  Well worth a download.  I've also written a software program that accesses the ECU to see how the engine is running.

Also, if you do have that engine, send me the engine number (Assuming you dont have a V5 yet, it's on the block under Number 4 exhaust).   I can tell you it's age, mod state and what car it was destined for.  Makes ordering spare much easier.

Cheers

Al

Hi Al

Yes my car has a Rover T16 turbo engine. I bought the car on ebay last year and drove from Wellingborough to Aberdeen to pick it up. I soon realised that I do not have the required skill set to put it together so it is being built for me in Coventry. I will ask Martin to have a look on the block for the engine number. The engine has never run it is effectively almost 20 years old and brand new. I will download your attached file and certainly will keep in touch.

Many thanks

Mark

2 hours ago, Mark Prescott said:

I bought the un-built car last year and the seller said he didnt take the seats when he purchased because he didnt like them, it now makes sense why. Thanks for the information Geordie. I still prefer the Sparco R100 with runners, do you know if these fit ok?

Although the cockpit is quite large (for a 7 style) I found it difficult to get seats to fit hence the mx5 ones. The vectra seats only just fit and because the tunnel flares out there wasn’t much movement on the runners and you couldn’t get your hand down the side to adjust the backrest.

Maybe Alan can measure his seats as I sold my car last year (still got a 7 style though)

35 minutes ago, Mark Prescott said:

....it is being built for me in Coventry. I will ask Martin to have a look on the block for the engine number. The engine has never run it is effectively almost 20 years old and brand new. I will download your attached file and certainly will keep in touch.

If your builder has any questions tell him to contact me.   Do I take it you live in Wellingborough ?  If so my son lives in Woolaston and I go there regularly so could always drop by and show you what a competed one looks like 😀

I think you will find your engine was built in 1995, so it is actually 27 years old.   It puts you in an awkward situation when you go for the IVA/MOT.   On the emission test, unless you prove the engine age you will be assessed against the current limits.   Your problem is that is no official way of proving it as Rover are now long gone.   We only know the ages by comparing the engine numbers from a database held by Rimmer Brothers when they took over Rovers spares when it was sold to China.   One solution would be to ask for a 'Q' plate, although you can actually get a brand new age-related plate.   The emissions test is then 'visible smoke'.   Just something to consider.

19 minutes ago, geordie40 said:

Maybe Alan can measure his seats as I sold my car last year (still got a 7 style though)

I agree they are a tight fit, and I hadn't realised how many adjustments they had until I took them out.    The relevant measurements are 18" for the blue line (touches the tunnel on the inside and is about 1" clear of the chassis on the outside) and 20" for the orange line which touches the tunnel and the top rail so is the limit.

Cheers

Al

seats.jpg

13 hours ago, alanrichey said:

If your builder has any questions tell him to contact me.   Do I take it you live in Wellingborough ?  If so my son lives in Woolaston and I go there regularly so could always drop by and show you what a competed one looks like 😀

I think you will find your engine was built in 1995, so it is actually 27 years old.   It puts you in an awkward situation when you go for the IVA/MOT.   On the emission test, unless you prove the engine age you will be assessed against the current limits.   Your problem is that is no official way of proving it as Rover are now long gone.   We only know the ages by comparing the engine numbers from a database held by Rimmer Brothers when they took over Rovers spares when it was sold to China.   One solution would be to ask for a 'Q' plate, although you can actually get a brand new age-related plate.   The emissions test is then 'visible smoke'.   Just something to consider.

I agree they are a tight fit, and I hadn't realised how many adjustments they had until I took them out.    The relevant measurements are 18" for the blue line (touches the tunnel on the inside and is about 1" clear of the chassis on the outside) and 20" for the orange line which touches the tunnel and the top rail so is the limit.

Cheers

Al

seats.jpg

Hi Alan

I live just outside Wellingborough in Wilby. It would be great to meet up if you are over this way, Wollaston is only 4 miles away. Thanks for the seat information, the Sparco R100 are quite a narrow seat so should fit.

Thanks

Mark

14 hours ago, geordie40 said:

Although the cockpit is quite large (for a 7 style) I found it difficult to get seats to fit hence the mx5 ones. The vectra seats only just fit and because the tunnel flares out there wasn’t much movement on the runners and you couldn’t get your hand down the side to adjust the backrest.

I will need the seats to work forward and back on their runners as the drivers of the car will vary in height. Demon tweeks assure me that the Sparco R100 will fit ok but the seats can be returned for a full refund if they don't.

+1 for Intatrim - I've had mine for 14k miles and they look like new. But best of all, they do a huge number of colours and styles if you want something specific and I'm pretty sure they'll be less than your £750 budget (mine cost me £500 in 2016).