Seat belt mount point extension

steve1506

Having slave fitted my seats at last I find that the seat belt positions I have need to be moved back. My question is can I make a plate which utilises the current belt fixing point and is fixed to the strengthened  floor so that it does not rotate to recreate the fixing point further back. 

Steve D

Yes, as long as it's made out of something substantial.

Substantial means at least 3mm thick if it's in tension and thicker if it's doing to be subject to bending. Don't be tempted to use thinner metal just because you have it around or it's easier to cut.

Think about the direction the belt is likely to be pulled in a collision and design it to resist that load and you should be ok. Get photos afterwards if your going through IVA.

Thanks for the response I have some 5mm plate and having thought a bit more over night  I was going to use this to make a plate that would pick up the current fixing point and also be bolted to the vertical support as per  the photo. I need to move it back ideally around 160 mmIMG_2010.thumb.jpg.cd8a336209da90a7ac64e18d7da992cc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, richyb66 said:

That looks fine, keep the photos for IVA just in case they ask.

Thanks Richy, I have been taking loads of photos all the way through my build so can certainly can show them every aspect if asked. 

Steve D