Chassis numbering

Nicholas M Walker

OK - so does anyone know how Robin Hood allocated chassis numbers? Were they numbered by RH or were they allocated locally by the builder or Test Station when they were first registered??

I have a Sierra 7 with a chassis number ending 000000000001......! Is this actually the first one produced?

• Like 1

I think a large proportion of them have been made up by whoever built the car. As long as it was stamped correctly, in the right places I think SVA testers were happy.

Steve

• Like 1

All S7 kits were sold long before SVA/IVA.

Most would have been complete and registered before SVA/IVA.

Registration in those days (before late 97) was a bit hit and miss depending on your local registration authority and most did not understand the rules and were only interested in it not being a ringer so would be easily convinced that it was the first kit of that type.

Allocation of VIN for amateur has been officially from the DVLA from the set up of the DVLA but this is not checked.

So most probably it was the first build by the original builder.

Bask in the glory🙂

Bit confused here, are we talking about chassis numbers or VIN numbers ?   I'm not aware of a 'chassis' number.   VIN numbers are the ones that have to be stamped into the chassis. and are then displayed on the V5.  I think my VIN number was made up by the builder (in 2008) although he took advice from Robin Hood Engineering. It starts with SSP (SuperSPec ?)  then a few numbers a string of 7s and ends in 18.   Maybe the 18 means something ?

I had the number 325 welded (literally made by a welder in the metal) in my chassis when it first arrived - I assumed that meant it was the 325th Zero at the time (2015 delivery)?

My proper VIN number was given to me by the DVLA when I first applied for the IVA test, although I know you definitely used to be able to make up your own.

• 2 weeks later...